Atypical

Just thought i would let you all know there's a new tv show on Netflix called Atypical that revolves a young lad on the spectrum dealing with love and family issues etc its actually quite good and makes a change doing tv shows centered round autistic people

Parents
  • Having watched a few episodes of season 1, I think it's a pretty terrible show to be honest. I don't think the characters are realistic at all. Sam is a stereotype, as are a lot of other characters (his mum is a very stereotypical 'autism mom' who ties her identity up in having an autistic child), and there's a lot of focus on how terrible and hard it is for his family more than anything (how terrible it was to have a child that doesn't make eye contact (urgh) etc etc).

I gather they changed track slightly for the second series and have included more autistic characters played by autistic actors, but can't get through the first series in order to get onto the second series, so meh.

• At the end of the day they have to make it appeal to NTs so there's bound to be some lapses in reality but on the whole i think it's good that the powers that be in entertainment are recognising we are out there

• Perhaps you're right. Maybe I am too old and cynical. 

The media are constantly on the lookout for the "next big thing". There was a programme in the UK called "The A word". 

I anticipate that this is not in fact some enlightened societal shift, but rather "we must have an autism angle, everyone's doing it, we have to maintain our revenue streams...". 

To put it another way, don't say you weren't warned if it turns out to be nothing more than the proverbial five minutes of fame(!)

• i suppose it all depends from what perspective you view it from for me it was just commonality ie how many things with which i could relate to

Reply Children
No Data