Nightmares & insomnia

I suffer from the dual evil of nightmares and insomnia and need help.

For example, today I woke at 4am from a nightmare and I cannot fall asleep (insomnia).  I am also afraid to go back to sleep because in the past I have had nightmares following nightmares when I fall asleep after a short break.

With inadequate sleep I get up tired.  With nightmarish sleep I get up tired.

I don't have sleeping tablets at home as a precaution.  Because in my recent past I've attempted suicide by overdosing with tablets.

So I sit in bed.  Either reading , worrying or on the internet.

Any Help or advice is much appreciated!

Parents
  • Hi Robert123, I sympathise with you as I suffer with both nightmares and insomnia too.  This has been a constant problem throughout my life since a child.

Have you noticed if there is any pattern to when you suffer with the nightmares or insomnia?  I will go through 3 phases - first phase is the insomnia where I cannot sleep, I'm too wired to sleep etc.  This will go on for a few week.  The second phase is where the nightmares start and like you if I wake from one, I go back to sleep only to have another.  These can be incredibly frightening for me as well, so I always make sure I have things around me that will bring comfort and reassurance should I wake.  After this, the third stage will consist of broken sleep where I will wake up numerous times throughout the night.

It might be worth keeping a log to see if being more stressed or emotional triggers them or whether you go through cycles like me.  I can normally predict when I am due a nightmare depending on how I am sleeping, so see if you notice any patterns so you can better prepare for them.

It doesn't matter how old you are, nightmares are terrifying end of and even now I sometimes wake up hyperventilating, screaming or crying.

• The insomnia is a long term problem and always there.

Predicting nightmares is more difficult.  Usually I have none.  Or two or three per night.  So they are connected. If I have one.  Then others follow when I fall back to sleep.

I still don't understand why they repeat.

Another common one that is related to reality is that I'm in college and I have fallen behind too far to catch up.  Or I'm attending lectures after I have already failed.  And it's the following year.  

In reality I've never failed higher education courses.  But I've never done as well as I wanted.

Some nightmares are related to TV I was watching before I went to bed.

I don't know which is worse.  Insomnia and not being able to sleep.   Or sleeping with nightmares????

• The insomnia is a long term problem and always there.

Predicting nightmares is more difficult.  Usually I have none.  Or two or three per night.  So they are connected. If I have one.  Then others follow when I fall back to sleep.

I still don't understand why they repeat.

Another common one that is related to reality is that I'm in college and I have fallen behind too far to catch up.  Or I'm attending lectures after I have already failed.  And it's the following year.  

In reality I've never failed higher education courses.  But I've never done as well as I wanted.

Some nightmares are related to TV I was watching before I went to bed.

I don't know which is worse.  Insomnia and not being able to sleep.   Or sleeping with nightmares????

Children

• I still don't understand why they repeat.

All dreams follow a particular theme that we are in the process of working through, and until we we do so ~ they repeat.

• Can you trace your vivid dreams to particular items of food and/or drink? Maybe keep a diary of your diet versus dreams?

I admit to being rather jealous of all you persistent dreamers because I very rarely remember any of mine, though I suppose I must still have them. 

There is one odd, recurring nightmare, but it only happens when I have a bad fever (used to get them a lot when I was very small, and the dreams were scary because they didn't make any sense). I can't really explain what they're about because there were no frames of reference.