NAS Forum - Brand update and maintenance.

Brand update and maintenance, 26 September - more details

..."more Details" links to information saying:

Brand and site maintenance - 26 September 2018
Owing to planned maintenance, this site will be unavailable overnight on 26 September, including the early hours of 27 September. We are doing two pieces of work:

Refreshing the design to reflect the National Autistic Society's new brand.
Updating the software to a new version. The main benefit to this should be improvements to the listing of messages in threads, and the flagging of new messages. We want to implement this in order to help with problems that users have reported

...The words "new brand" link to a (small) Page, here:
www.autism.org.uk/.../2018-09-13-changing.aspx

... いま, From myself: I begin this Thread because that is one of the things which I myself used to be most useful for, upon this Forum... But Now things are different and so I Post less (!). Also, However, not everyone notices the Main NAS message, and, also, WebPM says that "As ever, your feedback after the update is welcome." upon the following Thread:

community.autism.org.uk/.../82297

...Lastly from me, this next Link is actually the latest Thread for Posting "Strange" Things... but not many people remembered it...

community.autism.org.uk/.../

...That Thread contains many Links to other Threads which are for specific problems (Older Errors, Notifications, Ideas, Spam, Copybots, etc.).

In closing: All in all, Thanks NAS - especially Mr.WebPM. And Good Luck to all.

Parents
  • If you want to fiddle with the colours you see on your own browser, you can do so.

Here's an example:

Example result from CSS hacking

This was achieved by creating the following userContent.css file:

@-moz-document domain(autism.org.uk) {
         div {
             /* font-family:'Utopia' !important; */
            background-color: black !important;
            color: gray !important;
         }

.site-nav__link {
             color: SteelBlue !important;
         }

h1 {
         }

.thread-list h3 {
             /* font-family:'Utopia' !important; */
         }

.thread-list h3 a:hover {
             color: white !important;
         }

.thread-list h3 a {
         }

.content-fragment .content-list.tabular .content-item .cell .value {
         }

.activity-story .content-list.comments.with-content {
             background-color: #000000 !important;
         }

.activity-story .content-list.comments {
             background-color: #000000 !important;
         }

.content-fragment-page a {
         }
    }

If you've never done this sort of thing before, start here: ffeathers.wordpress.com/.../

• The issue of user control of colours was raised with the old design as well. As you say, modern browsers do hand control to the user - but you need to be able to write style sheets to do the kind of thing that DongFeng5 is suggesting. The other approach is browser add-ins, such as Stylish (for Chrome and Firefox). They offer a library of styles; you search it, and download the ones you like. Many are specific to individual sites (e.g. YouTube), and others change only minor things that some users find annoying (e.g the appearance of the scroll bar). However, there are also global styles that can be applied to all sites.

I wonder whether this might develop into a Community project, whereby DongFeng5 and Trogluddite might share their styles in Stylish, for the benefit of those who aren't so familiar with the technical details? I could provide the full set of colours for the new brand, to allow several versions (PM me).

The old font-size controls have gone, of course, because Ctrl+ and Ctrl- work better. Changing just the font size has the issue that most layouts are rather dependent on the expected sizes. Those short-cuts change the whole page size, as many of you will know. Ctrl0 to reset to normal.

• ...Next reply from myself.

I for one will not be trying to change it myself,,, I can’t and have no desire to learn. 

...I am borderline upon such a business. I have done technical things sometimes (partitioning, Linux, trying to learn C)... but I also do not want to have to do such things to make this Forum easier to see/use... it sounds like fun, but I am too scared of "BRICKING" and that would be why many of us are just "Users" rather than "Programmers/Engineers/Hackers"... I would like to, but not just now...

...That could start a New Thread (a bit like my old ASCII Thread)... but a main thing about what you say is possibly a continuation for an older Thread:

The old font-size controls have gone, of course, because Ctrl+ and Ctrl- work better. Changing just the font size has the issue that most layouts are rather dependent on the expected sizes. Those short-cuts change the whole page size, as many of you will know. Ctrl0 to reset to normal.

...I believe you - but how is/was this done upon a TOUCHSCREEN... ? 

For now, however - it is the Weekend, and so Mr Webster might not reply again until Monday/Tuesday, now... I still say Thanks very much for acknowledging us anyway...

• Yes, it's not about zoom, it's about a mobile version and an app would be even better. Making something that already doesn't fit on your screen bigger just makes it fit worse? I have to zoom it in order to be able to use buttons and menus but zooming in and out all the time is annoying.

• Greetings, Miss Nasally-Enhanced...   :-)

Myself (and WebPM) mention some things below (wayyy below) about this. In the meantime, also for anyone else, what you may try (or are already trying?) is the following:

1 - Most Devices have a setting under "Accessibility" or for "Sight impaired"; check this to reverse colours, and the message may become visible. This differs for all machines, though.

2 - Try Copying and Pasting everything upon the page -Top to bottom, and/or white on white - into  another Text-Management Program (A Notepad or Text/Word Editor). 

...I know that these might not work or are annoying, but, as below, WebPM says that they are 'working on the problem'. I also wrote below a Thanks for your Posting... and please - anyone! - feel free to Post stuff like that here - it is what this Thread is for... Y'know...

• DC it is all very frustrating and bless you for jpkeep pushing. My beef is reading pm messages on a white background with white text. I know I need to eat  carrots to see in the dark.,.. not sure how I’m meant to read white on white...

Reply Children
  • Greetings, Miss Nasally-Enhanced...   :-)

Myself (and WebPM) mention some things below (wayyy below) about this. In the meantime, also for anyone else, what you may try (or are already trying?) is the following:

1 - Most Devices have a setting under "Accessibility" or for "Sight impaired"; check this to reverse colours, and the message may become visible. This differs for all machines, though.

2 - Try Copying and Pasting everything upon the page -Top to bottom, and/or white on white - into  another Text-Management Program (A Notepad or Text/Word Editor). 

...I know that these might not work or are annoying, but, as below, WebPM says that they are 'working on the problem'. I also wrote below a Thanks for your Posting... and please - anyone! - feel free to Post stuff like that here - it is what this Thread is for... Y'know...