NAS Forum - Brand update and maintenance.

Brand update and maintenance, 26 September - more details

..."more Details" links to information saying:

Brand and site maintenance - 26 September 2018
Owing to planned maintenance, this site will be unavailable overnight on 26 September, including the early hours of 27 September. We are doing two pieces of work:

Refreshing the design to reflect the National Autistic Society's new brand.
Updating the software to a new version. The main benefit to this should be improvements to the listing of messages in threads, and the flagging of new messages. We want to implement this in order to help with problems that users have reported

...The words "new brand" link to a (small) Page, here:
www.autism.org.uk/.../2018-09-13-changing.aspx

... いま, From myself: I begin this Thread because that is one of the things which I myself used to be most useful for, upon this Forum... But Now things are different and so I Post less (!). Also, However, not everyone notices the Main NAS message, and, also, WebPM says that "As ever, your feedback after the update is welcome." upon the following Thread:

community.autism.org.uk/.../82297

...Lastly from me, this next Link is actually the latest Thread for Posting "Strange" Things... but not many people remembered it...

community.autism.org.uk/.../

...That Thread contains many Links to other Threads which are for specific problems (Older Errors, Notifications, Ideas, Spam, Copybots, etc.).

In closing: All in all, Thanks NAS - especially Mr.WebPM. And Good Luck to all.

Parents
  • Many thanks for all the comments. I'm hoping to address some of the issues, so I'll try to summarise, because they appear in different messages in this thread:

1. Trogluddite's issue with links to the forum: I cannot reproduce this, and I suspect some kind of local caching effect in Trogluddite's browser or Internet provider. If anyone else has the same problem, please say. I would recommend clearing your cache and, if possible, trying on another connection or device as a check.
    2. DC would like "to bottom" and "to top" buttons - I'll put that down as a suggestion
    3. Lonewarrior experienced slow loading, but I'm treating that as a one-off problem. Is that fair?
    4. Marking of read vs unread threads (for signed-in users) - I agree that normal for unread and bold for read is counter-intuitive; apologies for missing this in testing (there was a lot to test)
    5. Lonewarrior reports inconsistent marking of read (replied-to) threads; that's likely to be how the underlying software handles things, but if we can identify when threads are and are not marked as read then I can feed back
    6. Pages showing the old logo: we will, over time, work through and update all our materials and content to the new brand. Obviously, some may not change before it is taken down - photographs and reports from before the change, for example. If you're seeing the old logo at the top left of pages, that will be a caching effect (where your browser, or something else in the chain, keeps a copy of a page element in order to avoid downloading it every time), and will clear by itself. Clearing your browser cache may help. We took some steps to reduce this effect.
    7. Visibility of voting buttons (and voter names); we can look at that again. Obviously, if they are too prominent, they distract from the main content, so there's a bit of a balancing act to perform. Point taken on usage with mobile devices.
    8. Violet on black - again - we'll look into that, but to me it's a positioning issue, as the reply notification wouldn't be noticeable in the footer even it were in big red letters. Lonewarrior implied that this happens for a lot of text, but I can't reproduce that?

I'll comment separately on colours.

• Many thanks for all the comments. I'm hoping to address some of the issues, so I'll try to summarise, because they appear in different messages in this thread:

1. Trogluddite's issue with links to the forum: I cannot reproduce this, and I suspect some kind of local caching effect in Trogluddite's browser or Internet provider. If anyone else has the same problem, please say. I would recommend clearing your cache and, if possible, trying on another connection or device as a check.
    2. DC would like "to bottom" and "to top" buttons - I'll put that down as a suggestion
    3. Lonewarrior experienced slow loading, but I'm treating that as a one-off problem. Is that fair?
    4. Marking of read vs unread threads (for signed-in users) - I agree that normal for unread and bold for read is counter-intuitive; apologies for missing this in testing (there was a lot to test)
    5. Lonewarrior reports inconsistent marking of read (replied-to) threads; that's likely to be how the underlying software handles things, but if we can identify when threads are and are not marked as read then I can feed back
    6. Pages showing the old logo: we will, over time, work through and update all our materials and content to the new brand. Obviously, some may not change before it is taken down - photographs and reports from before the change, for example. If you're seeing the old logo at the top left of pages, that will be a caching effect (where your browser, or something else in the chain, keeps a copy of a page element in order to avoid downloading it every time), and will clear by itself. Clearing your browser cache may help. We took some steps to reduce this effect.
    7. Visibility of voting buttons (and voter names); we can look at that again. Obviously, if they are too prominent, they distract from the main content, so there's a bit of a balancing act to perform. Point taken on usage with mobile devices.
    8. Violet on black - again - we'll look into that, but to me it's a positioning issue, as the reply notification wouldn't be noticeable in the footer even it were in big red letters. Lonewarrior implied that this happens for a lot of text, but I can't reproduce that?

I'll comment separately on colours.

Children
  • Slow loading and buttons so small I keep hitting the wrong one, bubble telling me I'm disconnected, random crashes, painful colour scheme, doesn't pick up my dark theme. My cache clears automatically on closing firefox but still slow. Seriiusly hard to use on mobile. Buttons so small I keep reporting myself as abusive when I try to touch the 'edit' button. Think the software might need replacing with proper multi-device interfaces? It really needs updating?

But obvs thanks for providing it at all and I do understand resource constraints.

• Thanks for the speedy response, WebPM (if only other sites had such a responsive web-dev!)

1) Thanks for the advice; after clearing my browser cache, the home page links do seem to be working OK now.

3) I've had a few spells where loading has been very slow, and occasional disconnected/reconnected boxes. I haven't spotted any particular pattern to it, and it's not clearly any better or worse than experienced before the update. It was very slow the first time I logged in after the update, but maybe that was just new uncached content being loaded?

• Slow loading isn’t just LOnewarrior, I have had real problems with it too. Also I keep getting the little “you have gone offline” popup still. (I lost a long reply due to this yesterday, it vanished when I tried to post it and said little popup said I was offline and trying to reconnect).