NAS Forum - Brand update and maintenance.

Brand update and maintenance, 26 September - more details

..."more Details" links to information saying:

Brand and site maintenance - 26 September 2018
Owing to planned maintenance, this site will be unavailable overnight on 26 September, including the early hours of 27 September. We are doing two pieces of work:

Refreshing the design to reflect the National Autistic Society's new brand.
Updating the software to a new version. The main benefit to this should be improvements to the listing of messages in threads, and the flagging of new messages. We want to implement this in order to help with problems that users have reported

...The words "new brand" link to a (small) Page, here:
www.autism.org.uk/.../2018-09-13-changing.aspx

... いま, From myself: I begin this Thread because that is one of the things which I myself used to be most useful for, upon this Forum... But Now things are different and so I Post less (!). Also, However, not everyone notices the Main NAS message, and, also, WebPM says that "As ever, your feedback after the update is welcome." upon the following Thread:

community.autism.org.uk/.../82297

...Lastly from me, this next Link is actually the latest Thread for Posting "Strange" Things... but not many people remembered it...

community.autism.org.uk/.../

...That Thread contains many Links to other Threads which are for specific problems (Older Errors, Notifications, Ideas, Spam, Copybots, etc.).

In closing: All in all, Thanks NAS - especially Mr.WebPM. And Good Luck to all.

Parents
  • Less than 48 hours for this. I wanted to try asking (NAS-)  WebPM if the update will "fix" older Threads which have the "Disappearing Messages" trouble or just newer ones? Also, Mr. Cassandro highlighted a problem recently (upon the NAS Thread) about QUOTES also Quoting Indentations... and is this going to be fixed as well?

I am also taking the chance to say something, here:- I myself can follow Progamming - but I do not know precise Terms of HTML!   

...There, I finally said it.  :-(            

In closing... well, typically, after that, I have forgotten just now what else I wanted to ask/say.  (Meh.) とにかく... NAS, Thanks and "keep on keeping on" anyway. (!)

• I would expect the update to fix older threads as well.

As far as I can tell, messages are only missing in the sense that the system has rules for displaying the messages in a thread in different ways, depending on your view. If you look at the list of threads in a forum, and choose one to view, it's showing you the whole thread from the beginning, in the natural order. If you get a notification of an update to a thread in which you have participated, the system aims to take you to the new message, and re-orders the thread somewhat to focus on the branch of the discussions in which that was posted. In that process, it seems to miss out some messages altogether in some circumstances, which I would see as a bug.

I believe that I have seen further, later, additions to the thread cause messages to "re-appear" in these "notification views". This would be because the new messages change how the rules for ordering the thread work. So, it's pretty clear that the messages are still in the database, and the new version should therefore "reveal" them. However, I'm not sure that all the instances we have identified previously are still issues even now - again, because new messages have since been added to the threads. So, it may take us some time to be sure that the update has resolved the problem.

Nonetheless, I have been feeding back the issues that we have experienced to the developers. For the reasons above, it's really hard to be categorical that this version will resolve everything, but I am hopeful.

I am not expecting a fix to the quotations issue. That, as I recall, was an instance of the HTML getting corrupted in the editor, and I am not aware of similar instances. That kind of thing has happened occasionally with every "rich-text" editor I have encountered, but the causes are very hard to tie down, and can sometimes be related to pasting in text (especially from Word, which is never a good idea - use Notepad). So, I'm regarding that as something of a one-off glitch - unless you know different.

Regards

• Good luck and I sincerely hope the update fixes the problem.

As a former programmer I know how one bug fix can introduce new bugs.

Reply Children
No Data