The Transition into College.

We go through primary with our child and get told he is fine,no diagnosis. Secondary schools starts to struggle and at 13 year gets a diagnosis.so you fight for the EHCP. We get nothing  pretty much told not expect  much in the way of GCSE results.

Well he passed them all and it wad a very emotional day I can tell you.

So off to college to do the enrolment, we talk to the SEN team who are fantastic, then off to meet the tutor.

After the tutor read his notes she knows he's has autism and proceeds to question him on is this what he really wants to do and how he will cope standing  for 12hours everyday and negative question after negative question. And how HIS autism is going to affect HER.

The meeting with the tutor was stopped there and then.

All it takes is one weak link in the chain to undo so many hopes and dream. Some teachers/tutors need retraining  and some need a refresher course.

This blip will not stop us from moving forward. However we are waiting to see how they deal with this situation. The day our children get out of the education system can't come soon enough.

• What does he want to study?

• I worked for the old Marconi company back in the 80s - it was full of AS people doing amazing things and earning big bucks for the company. They were all odd-balls in grubby suits and were unable to function socially but the company let them be who they were - they had administrators who acted like their mothers / interface to the world and did all their typing converting AS-speak into English for the management to understand. It was a great environment - until it all went very commercial in the early 90s and all admin staff were culled and those brilliant engineers were forced to try to function in the real world.

It didn't work - Marconi doesn't exist any more.

• It doesn't surprise me that it will and does go on after leaving the education system. Like you say it's the real world,I suppose deep down I really knew that because even when you have an EHCP after you turn 25 you are on your own. 

Like you say. "Support and discrimination" simultaneously it happens. Am now sat here thinking of how to build a company who would just employ autistic people because am sure it would be a success. However am I not discriminating against others who shall we say are normal. 

Thanks Robert123 for you thoughts. 

• You have my sympathy and understanding.  And I actually mean it.   But that's the real world.  And outside the education system and in the workplace it's even worse.  I struggle with these problems every day.  Mention autism and reaction is two faced. "Support and discrimination" simultaneously.