Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

Parents
  • Loving all the shows mentioned.

A few more of my favourites:-

Catweazle. 

Bagpus.

The Mysterons.

Thunderbirds.

Stingray (marina)

Joe 90.

Hectors house.

Magic Roundabout.

Pitkins.

Basil Brush.

Michael Bentines Potty time.

The list is huge include most of those already mentioned and add quite a few more.

Stop frame animation was brilliant and didn’t appear to be as such. The puppet characters which were prevelant of the time were amazing and during close up hand scenes human hands were often substituted. 

Fantastic and uplifting thread, thank you Trainspotter. X

• Loving all the shows mentioned.

A few more of my favourites:-

Catweazle. 

Bagpus.

The Mysterons.

Thunderbirds.

Stingray (marina)

Joe 90.

Hectors house.

Magic Roundabout.

Pitkins.

Basil Brush.

Michael Bentines Potty time.

The list is huge include most of those already mentioned and add quite a few more.

Stop frame animation was brilliant and didn’t appear to be as such. The puppet characters which were prevelant of the time were amazing and during close up hand scenes human hands were often substituted. 

Fantastic and uplifting thread, thank you Trainspotter. X

Children
  • The “Tomorrow people”, teenagers with the ability to connect minds and talk when apart and most important each had certain abilities beyond the norm, teleporting but limited I seem to remember, and not sure but I think one could stop time but only briefly. 

• Catweazle - such a brilliant drama.  A fish out of water story ... someone trying to make sense of what he finds in a place where he doesn't belong ... a bit like autism!

I still refer to the power source in the home as 'Electrickery' and the telephone 'the telling bone'.  It takes me back to a place which now only exists in the deep recesses of my mind.

Catweazle was played by Geoffrey Bayldon who died a year or so ago aged 93.  He also played the Crowman in Worzel Gummidge.

Link to Catweazle on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgIHS7am9g

Catweazle was written/produced by Richard Carpenter, who also went on to make The Ghosts of Mottley Hall, D ick Turpin (software censorship again!!) and Robin of Sherwood, all programmes of quality!