Disney world

Hi everyone 

We are planning to take our 2 boys to Disney in Florida next year however we are somewhat apprehensive about how my son will manage. His sensory needs are quite high and he can become overwhelmed in these sorts of environments. I don’t want him to miss out and obviously want him to enjoy himself so just wondered if any of you have been and any tips on making the trip successful? 

Parents
  • Greetings. (Yet I surely  I am the only one who HAS actually been there... long ago, about 30 years... y'know, before the Internet, and when television was in black-and-white, and cars had to be wound up...y'know...?   (!) )
    Seriously, though. Diagnosis did not exist for me back then. But, around age 10, I was taken there, and was excited about meeting certain characters which I liked (Daisy Duck, Minnie Mouse, etc.).

This is my advice, maybe...
    Waiting in line for HOURS was difficult, so try to go at a quiet time (very early, very late, in winter)... but I was excited about going upon the Rides (thinking about the rides and surroundings excited me)... but in the end I was looking forward to meeting my favourite characters. (But Daisy Duck did not show, Minnie Mouse was on-stage only... and so I had to make do with Chip and Dale!)
    Provide lots of distractions and information about what to look forward to (rides, characters, food, whatever) and do not leave the child alone. Do not become anxious yourself, and point out a lot of the other things going on (not people.). If children are upset, and distraction does not work, then ask what is wrong in consideration of what THEY want to see instead.

The main idea is a sort of "immersion in their/the fantasy"... or something like that...?! And that applies to ANY theme park, I think. If there is an interest in something, then focus upon that.

• Greetings. (Yet I surely  I am the only one who HAS actually been there... long ago, about 30 years... y'know, before the Internet, and when television was in black-and-white, and cars had to be wound up...y'know...?   (!) )
    Seriously, though. Diagnosis did not exist for me back then. But, around age 10, I was taken there, and was excited about meeting certain characters which I liked (Daisy Duck, Minnie Mouse, etc.).

This is my advice, maybe...
    Waiting in line for HOURS was difficult, so try to go at a quiet time (very early, very late, in winter)... but I was excited about going upon the Rides (thinking about the rides and surroundings excited me)... but in the end I was looking forward to meeting my favourite characters. (But Daisy Duck did not show, Minnie Mouse was on-stage only... and so I had to make do with Chip and Dale!)
    Provide lots of distractions and information about what to look forward to (rides, characters, food, whatever) and do not leave the child alone. Do not become anxious yourself, and point out a lot of the other things going on (not people.). If children are upset, and distraction does not work, then ask what is wrong in consideration of what THEY want to see instead.

The main idea is a sort of "immersion in their/the fantasy"... or something like that...?! And that applies to ANY theme park, I think. If there is an interest in something, then focus upon that.

Children