Taking ASC son to Australia - arghhh!

Hi All,

I'm after any advice/ideas to help.

My 9 yr old has never been on a plane before (for too many reasons to list here). We have been given a gift of flights to Oz by my parents so I can see my sister and her family that moved out there 10 yrs ago. It's a mightily generous and kind gift but I almost wish they hadn't. My son has major anxieties around insects - getting him outdoors is a mild nightmare every sunny day. He has sensory issues around clothing and hates his legs exposed to elements (unless in swimming pool) so shorts are a big no-no every Summer. He hates hot weather and says over and over that he is a 'winter boy'. We will be in Queensland over Christmas when it is at its most sweltering.

He also has sensory processing problems with smells - especially food and so the airplane will be hard when all the meals come out. He often has to vomit for this reason. Babies crying and other children chatting cause him huge distress, so again, I am very worried about the flight for this reason! 

Things I am trying to do:

Youtube vids of airports/inside airplanes 

Focusing on things he'll love in Oz (like swimming pool in sister's back yard)

Investigating where indoor places are close by that I can take him to (cinema/kfc etc!)

insect repellent and netted hats

Airport Assistance from airline

Distractions/headphones/gadgets on flight to distract/de-stress

Plan to see gp to discuss possible sleep-aids as he has rigid routine and I suspect he will not be able to switch off on flights.

Taking Vicks Vaporub on flight to help with smells.

Anyone that's been in similar boat and found something that really helped - please let me know! Or any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks for reading. Em X

Parents
  • Hi  Em

Does your son e have anything he is currently very interested in? Something that could be worked into this trip?

my brother never wears short sleeve or shorts, in the summer he wears very light loose fine cotton trousers and shirt made from e the type of cotton you would find in a thin summer dress.

• Thanks Song. I shall look in to cotton trouser - breathable materials for him. My son loves Kirby and Super Mario Bros as well as Beano - so I will have magazines/games etc hidden away. I am guessing there will be movies on the flights as well - I will call airline and check I think as that would be a great way to kill time too. Thanks for your help X

• Can you get him a Kirby blanket or plushy depending on what he would prefer and ask them to put it on his seat waiting for him?

Reply Children