Is there a way to view forum posts in a linear way instead of in threads?

I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the view of posts so that they are in a purely chronological order (within the post page itself, not in the forum listing, because I know the latter is already in chronological order). I notice in one post someone added a message just a few minutes ago, according to the forum listing, but I cannot find the new message among all the old ones. The messages within a post are listed in "threads", but I'd prefer just to see the new messages at the bottom. Is there a way to adjust my settings so that would be the case? Thanks.

Parents
  • This has been discussed a bit in various threads, most notably the "missing messages" thread. I'd agree with seekeraftertruth's assessment - the ("nested") thread view is good for organising the messages, but it is harder to spot the latest messages in a long, complex thread. As a result, that linked thread is trying to establish the following: some of our users are having problems in finding certain messages in threads, and we need to know whether these are actually caused by missing messages, or by messages being present, but sometimes hard to find.

The answer to the question is that there is no switch so that you can see a linear view. One of the problems with such a switch is that, if you reply in linear view, you probably won't get your message threaded in the right place! I'm sorry not to be able to offer that.

We are working, as mentioned in the above thread and elsewhere, on ways to make it easier to spot new messages. We don't want to customise too heavily what is a standard package, however, in case we make future upgrades difficult.

From the forum listing, to see a new message, click on words such as "Latest 1 day ago". That will take you to a view of the new message, with the message to which that new one replied. From there you can View Next or View Previous to see more of the thread.

Hope this helps.

• well iv just joined and i must say it bogs your head down doing it this way, i would have though this would have been worked out ages ago so sooory dont mean to be mean 

Reply Children
No Data