Disappearing Messages/Posts, 2018. (EDIT.)

Note by WebPM: I have split this off from the photography thread partly to make this discussion more accessible to others who have questions, and partly to keep the other thread on topic.)

...Finally, this is to WebPM. I may Post again, though. But after 3, 4 attempts to find WebPMs Post, I could not, and then I recall a thing said by MrRobert123, in that Replies Change depending upon how a Thread is entered, and so I clicked upon the Thread TITLE, instead of any reply (from the HOME Screen... and now I finally see your Reply, Mr.WebPM.

(I wanted to keep this Thread about Pictures, but then that happens, and so I Post it here, as it happened, rather than my previous Thread. Excuse Me.)

EDIT - From DC: This Post now does not entirely make sense, when used  as a Starting Post or as an Introduction. To anyone reading, Please ignore the sentence here which says that this Thread is "about pictures", for THIS Thread is not about pictures at all..!! Most of all, Please see the first *Real* Post from myself, below. I myself can only wait to see what other people (including NAS) do regarding this Thread...

Parents
  • This time, it is WebPMs message (and 2 others) which is missing. From the same day, entered NOT via the Title. (Monday Tomorrow, Hope you are well, WebPM.)

• These are really helpful, thank you. I'm sorry for the trouble you've had to go to in order to paste these, but they make things so much clearer, so I appreciate your help. Since the pattern appears to be consistent, I think I have enough screen shots.

I can see what's happening, and I think I understand the reasons. I'm not sure either whether it's intended to work that way, or whether, if it is, that's a good idea, so it's going to take me some time to investigate. I'll try to have an answer in a couple of weeks; I'm not sure, especially with the holiday coming, whether I can do better than that.

The difference is, as I think  has suggested, between a view that is centred on a message, and a view of the whole thread. This forum,as we know, takes a "nesting" approach, that takes account of the fact that I am replying to a message from DC, and shows that by indenting my message under DC's. By contrast, in a "linear" forum, my message would always be last, even if DC's were ten messages higher in the thread.

So, if you follow a link to my message in this thread, the software is mostly concerned to show my message in context with DC's, and also any replies to my message in particular. For that reason, it does not show any other replies to DC's message. If I scroll down a bit and use Load Next, those other replies appear, but below the messages that are already showing. These Load Next links are just out of shot in most of the screen images above.

If you follow a link to the whole thread, then all replies are shown in their places (although you may have to use Load Next or Load Previous to display them). As a result, if you've started with a link to a message, the "missing" messages under discussion in this thread may, when revealed, appear somewhat lower down in the thread than if you started with a link to the thread.

Links to messages appear in email notifications, and also in the forum in "In reply to" links above messages. Links to the thread appear in listings of the topics in a particular forum, and of course the list of topics on the forum home page.

As I said, I am not sure that listing the same messages in different orders in different circumstances is helpful. I will need to look into this before commenting much further, including speaking to the software suppliers.

I am sorry to DC for causing offence by moving this topic into a separate thread. It has been helpful to me to be able to see this topic in isolation from others, and has made it easier to understand. My apologies if that was not true for others. I'll try to find better ways of starting a new thread if I do need to move messages, but I was conscious that starting a split thread with a message of my own would complicate the nesting and ordering.

I have mentioned before that, in my view, neither nested nor linear forums cope well when many themes are discussed together in one thread. We've seen what happens in a nested forum such as this. In a linear forum, contributors tend to quote massively from the messages to which they are replying, because several essentially-unrelated messages are interspersed, and the whole string becomes huge and hard to read.

• This Post is separated as it has little to do with the previous Post... However...

Linear Forums and Nested Forums.
    I have a proposition, yet am aware that I may not be able to fulfill it due to approaching hot weather and my own devices failing... and I am fully aware that *at least* "one or two" persons upon this Community do not like me!

A new Thread:

An Incremental Thread with No Topic. To show how "Nested" Forums & Replies Work. (#This may be the Title.)

This Thread is created to illustrate how "Nested" Threads work. Contributions upon any subject are welcome (as with a "Chat Thread")...
    HOWEVER: -Replies are not invited unless they begin with a number which is Plus One of the number given within the Post which is replied to.
    (#This may be the Introduction.)

E.G.:
    1 - I am Autistic. Is anyone else Autistic here? (#First Post.)
    2 - So am I. I have ASC. (#FIRST Reply.)
    3 - What does ASC stand for? Please tell me.
    3 - I have Aspergers.
    2 - I'm Autistic too. Glad to meet all of you!
    (#All of these would be SECOND Replies, yet it may be shown by the numbers who is replying to whom.)
    4 - ASC means "Autistic Spectrum Condition". Sometimes it is written as ASD (Disorder), which is how so-called "official criteria" classifies it just now.
    4 - I have Aspergers too. My child has it and I don't know how to cope. Any advice?
    3 - I am glad to meet you too! Welcome to the Forum!
    (#All of these may be intended as THIRD Replies in a Linear Forum, yet it may be seen from the numbers - and the NESTED Indicator (The Line at the side)... Who is replying to whom.)
    2 - I'm Autistic. So many people are here!
    5 - If you have a Child, then visit the main NAS Website, and they can give you more information.
    5 - What does it mean when people say NT ND or SENCO?
    (#All of these are FOURTH Replies, and by now the whole thing may confuse - but for the people posting a NUMBER in the first place.)

It is me, DC, again, now. All of that was simply a simple example written in simplest terms as I simply could. (!) For some reason, I have had the Idea of beginning such a Thread for a long time. Yet my devices are old, and Summer is approaching, and so I will not be able to guarantee my supporting it (through Hot Weather)...

...What I am asking is if WebPM and/or anyone else... understands this Post or may appreciate the starting of a Thread like That? This request is primarily aimed at Mr.WebPM, though... for I am not all that popular enough to muster "Community Spirit", as evidenced by how many contributed to this HERE Thread and to the Problems Thread (less than 10 people).

Good Luck to all in understanding this Post!

• This Post is separated as it has little to do with the previous Post... However...

Linear Forums and Nested Forums.
    I have a proposition, yet am aware that I may not be able to fulfill it due to approaching hot weather and my own devices failing... and I am fully aware that *at least* "one or two" persons upon this Community do not like me!

A new Thread:

An Incremental Thread with No Topic. To show how "Nested" Forums & Replies Work. (#This may be the Title.)

This Thread is created to illustrate how "Nested" Threads work. Contributions upon any subject are welcome (as with a "Chat Thread")...
    HOWEVER: -Replies are not invited unless they begin with a number which is Plus One of the number given within the Post which is replied to.
    (#This may be the Introduction.)

E.G.:
    1 - I am Autistic. Is anyone else Autistic here? (#First Post.)
    2 - So am I. I have ASC. (#FIRST Reply.)
    3 - What does ASC stand for? Please tell me.
    3 - I have Aspergers.
    2 - I'm Autistic too. Glad to meet all of you!
    (#All of these would be SECOND Replies, yet it may be shown by the numbers who is replying to whom.)
    4 - ASC means "Autistic Spectrum Condition". Sometimes it is written as ASD (Disorder), which is how so-called "official criteria" classifies it just now.
    4 - I have Aspergers too. My child has it and I don't know how to cope. Any advice?
    3 - I am glad to meet you too! Welcome to the Forum!
    (#All of these may be intended as THIRD Replies in a Linear Forum, yet it may be seen from the numbers - and the NESTED Indicator (The Line at the side)... Who is replying to whom.)
    2 - I'm Autistic. So many people are here!
    5 - If you have a Child, then visit the main NAS Website, and they can give you more information.
    5 - What does it mean when people say NT ND or SENCO?
    (#All of these are FOURTH Replies, and by now the whole thing may confuse - but for the people posting a NUMBER in the first place.)

It is me, DC, again, now. All of that was simply a simple example written in simplest terms as I simply could. (!) For some reason, I have had the Idea of beginning such a Thread for a long time. Yet my devices are old, and Summer is approaching, and so I will not be able to guarantee my supporting it (through Hot Weather)...

...What I am asking is if WebPM and/or anyone else... understands this Post or may appreciate the starting of a Thread like That? This request is primarily aimed at Mr.WebPM, though... for I am not all that popular enough to muster "Community Spirit", as evidenced by how many contributed to this HERE Thread and to the Problems Thread (less than 10 people).

Good Luck to all in understanding this Post!

Children
No Data