Disappearing Messages/Posts, 2018. (EDIT.)

Note by WebPM: I have split this off from the photography thread partly to make this discussion more accessible to others who have questions, and partly to keep the other thread on topic.)

...Finally, this is to WebPM. I may Post again, though. But after 3, 4 attempts to find WebPMs Post, I could not, and then I recall a thing said by MrRobert123, in that Replies Change depending upon how a Thread is entered, and so I clicked upon the Thread TITLE, instead of any reply (from the HOME Screen... and now I finally see your Reply, Mr.WebPM.

(I wanted to keep this Thread about Pictures, but then that happens, and so I Post it here, as it happened, rather than my previous Thread. Excuse Me.)

EDIT - From DC: This Post now does not entirely make sense, when used  as a Starting Post or as an Introduction. To anyone reading, Please ignore the sentence here which says that this Thread is "about pictures", for THIS Thread is not about pictures at all..!! Most of all, Please see the first *Real* Post from myself, below. I myself can only wait to see what other people (including NAS) do regarding this Thread...

Parents
  • As I've noted above, I've split this topic off. I've also moved some messages from the forum problems thread. Using separate threads for distinct topics is likely to help everyone, for the reasons I stated. We are talking about difficulties in locating messages in threads, and it's also helpful for that, because it's easier to lose messages in very complex threads with lots of sub-topics. That's actually true, I believe, in any forum system, however it presents threads - it's just hard to  keep track if several conversations are going on at once.

Anyway, to summarise, I currently understand this as a problem of locating messages that are hidden behind "Load Next" and "Load Previous" links. I have not seen a thread in which I could not find a message at all, although sometimes it was not as straightforward as I would hope. Those links are intended to make threads load more quickly, by only loading the thread section of most interest, although that's clearly not working well for everyone here.

To respond to the comments above, following a link to a thread title from, for example, the home page will take you to the top of the thread. If it's a long thread, you may need to Load Next or Load Previous to see some parts. Clicking on "Latest 3 hours ago" (or whatever) on the home page or similar will take you directly to the new message, in its context part-way down the thread.

I'm aware that we've lost a few images from this thread that were intended to illustrate potentially-missing posts. We're due to apply an update early tomorrow to resolve the problem with that happening to images.

• As I've noted above, I've split this topic off. I've also moved some messages from the forum problems thread. Using separate threads for distinct topics is likely to help everyone, for the reasons I stated. We are talking about difficulties in locating messages in threads, and it's also helpful for that, because it's easier to lose messages in very complex threads with lots of sub-topics. That's actually true, I believe, in any forum system, however it presents threads - it's just hard to  keep track if several conversations are going on at once.

Anyway, to summarise, I currently understand this as a problem of locating messages that are hidden behind "Load Next" and "Load Previous" links. I have not seen a thread in which I could not find a message at all, although sometimes it was not as straightforward as I would hope. Those links are intended to make threads load more quickly, by only loading the thread section of most interest, although that's clearly not working well for everyone here.

To respond to the comments above, following a link to a thread title from, for example, the home page will take you to the top of the thread. If it's a long thread, you may need to Load Next or Load Previous to see some parts. Clicking on "Latest 3 hours ago" (or whatever) on the home page or similar will take you directly to the new message, in its context part-way down the thread.

I'm aware that we've lost a few images from this thread that were intended to illustrate potentially-missing posts. We're due to apply an update early tomorrow to resolve the problem with that happening to images.

Children

• Please keep in mind through this post, that you are a well appreciated member of this community.

Using separate threads for distinct topics is likely to help everyone, for the reasons I stated. We are talking about difficulties in locating messages in threads, and it's also helpful for that, because it's easier to lose messages in very complex threads with lots of sub-topics. That's actually true, I believe, in any forum system, however it presents threads - it's just hard to  keep track if several conversations are going on at once.

Neurological Divergence, does though tend more to involve subject matter divergence (or sub-topics) as a matter of course, given the narrow or singular range of interests associated with Autism ~ as essentially involves people being self-centric rather than social centric, or Neurologically Typical.

Being self-centric (or Autistic) involves people being individually co-ordinated on topic matters as they see or think about them, personally.

So 'Using separate threads for distinct topics is likely to help every one' cannot be true to form of course regarding proportions of the NAS community.

Consider for instance those of us who have a more female neurology, and enjoy chatting about day to day experiences over the week or weeks. The cluster mucking or nested threading issue always occurs with such threads, and in fact any other on this website format past a particular stage. Weary

There are also those of us who are not so confident, so joining in and staying on with a singular thread post-discussion is befitting for them, rather than as such starting a new thread. Scream

Another consideration is for those of us who have difficulties recalling and or forgetting things, who find reading some or many of the posts refreshes the memory, and allows them to follow and use the post-trail on a thread ~ which gets extremely difficult here. Confounded

Due to the self-centric nature of Autism and Autistic Spectrum Disorders, if we experience a problem it will be continually focused on until it is resolved. I truly appreciate the difficulties you face instructing us on using this "clunky" social-centric website format ~ given the stress and strain that we on the spectrum find in using it; even when thanks to you and the team it is working! Wink

Much respect

DT

• Replied as this was proving difficult to find by a forum user when using the red link.