Celebrities

I don't think I 'get' celebrity culture. 

I can think of some actors who are (fairly) consistently good at playing a diverse range of characters, if I hear they're in a movie I might consider watching it for that reason, but I don't think I'd be particularly interested in meeting them / having something signed by them / owning something they once did, or any of the other things I hear of people doing re. celebrities. Similarly singers / musicians, authors, scientists, or any others. 

I would be interested to speak to some authors about a book of theirs I might have read, or scientists about their work, but I think only if I happened to meet them. I cannot imagine travelling across the country specifically for that purpose! Most of the people I would REALLY like to talk to about their field of work are historical figures anyway. I just have no interest in them as generalised people, it's their work / whatever they're probably famous for, that I'd be interested to talk to them about and I can't understand why I would be interested in a 'selfie' with them! 

Do others here feel like that? 

I have met some famous people and ... they were just people, of course. With some, not all, it was a surprise to see them but I didn't think of stopping to chat with them or anything. Seeing them was an interesting aside to the day but I felt the exact same thing when I took my daughter to see 'Santa Claus'. I do admire certain people for the things they have done but, again, the same can be said for many of the people I see on a regular basis and they're not famous at all. I'd go to a concert to hear someone I admire but I wouldn't think to hang around after on the off chance I might see them - what for? It puzzles me.     

Parents
  • Hi Endymion,

I don’t get the celebrity thing either. It seems to be a 'whole world’ that I am not a part of.

I appreciate really talented writers and actors as their skills bring stories and films to life for me. But generally, I am not interested in their private lives.

The rest of the ‘Celebrity Culture’ on T.V, in the media and in magazines…I tend to find largely ignorant and grotesque. And the nature of many of today’s t.v programmes just makes me really concerned about the future of the human race, both intellectually and ethically.  

I therefore don’t watch much t.v, other than the occasional documentary or film; I much prefer to read instead, books are my life.    

I have found in the workplace that a whole lot of ‘bonding’ between people seems to go on over celebrities’ behaviours, fashions, and t.v programmes, like Big Brother. But if having to watch an episode of Big Brother is the only way I am able to find a commonality with those I work with, I would much rather remain the outsider thank you! Haha.

Relaxed

• Hi Endymion,

I don’t get the celebrity thing either. It seems to be a 'whole world’ that I am not a part of.

I appreciate really talented writers and actors as their skills bring stories and films to life for me. But generally, I am not interested in their private lives.

The rest of the ‘Celebrity Culture’ on T.V, in the media and in magazines…I tend to find largely ignorant and grotesque. And the nature of many of today’s t.v programmes just makes me really concerned about the future of the human race, both intellectually and ethically.  

I therefore don’t watch much t.v, other than the occasional documentary or film; I much prefer to read instead, books are my life.    

I have found in the workplace that a whole lot of ‘bonding’ between people seems to go on over celebrities’ behaviours, fashions, and t.v programmes, like Big Brother. But if having to watch an episode of Big Brother is the only way I am able to find a commonality with those I work with, I would much rather remain the outsider thank you! Haha.

Relaxed

Children
  • Glad someone else feels he same way! The minutiae of someone's private life doesn't impact upon their work generally and so it does seem more than a little odd that 'fans' focus on these background details so much when it was (presumably) the person's work that first attracted admiration. Especially things such as a celebrity's new haircut  :/    I have no idea what many of my favourite authors look like let alone how they style their hair. 

I hadn't considered the type of 'celebrity' employed by the likes of Big Brother and the rest of the swathe of 'reality shows', eeeek!!  If nothing else, I suppose they at least prove the 'Five Minutes of Fame' thing. 

I suppose I can see how a shared interest in these things could be a bonding exercise. Or perhaps a competition of sorts to see who can get closest to or more noticed by the celebrity, maybe even a little of the hope that some of the 'glitter' might rub off on them (?). There does seem to be a preoccupation with 'becoming famous' regardless of how that's achieved, even notoriety seems to be held in esteem. It just all seems a bit (a lot) shallow and I think I too would rather not participate than settle for being a clone.        

• Are you suggesting that the majority of the human race get their education, their ethics and morals etc from the media? 

I’m glad you were able to find other ways to bond with your colleagues other than tv programs etc, although I do find it interesting listening to some of the things people talk about that is on tv, it doesn’t make me want to go and buy a tv or anything but I do enjoy listening about some of the things that are on tv from the people who watch them. I think I’d invite myself round to someone’s house though who had a tv so I could watch something if that was a way of making connections and bonding with my colleagues. I’d much rather work in a harmonious environment than be an outsider, you’re much more hard core than me! Lol! I try to create harmony at work as being the outsider wouldn't really work for me, but I admire people like yourself who just get on with it and sod the rest :-) I bet it’s a very peaceful way to be. I’d just leave if I could t get on with my colleagues. I’m a ***, definitely not hard core in that respect.