Autism and sports

I just watched this video ‘Gymnast with autism competes on national stage’:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kLnq92ZZbA

Look at that little champ go! I love seeing autistic children find their passion, especially when it helps their social skills so much.

It got me thinking though...I know first hand that gymnastics is excellent for those hyperactive children amongst us - I’ve done it myself, I’ve coached such children in gymnastics/cheerleading, and even Olympic champion Simone Biles has ADHD - but I think that many sports can be really beneficial for autistic individuals as they help with coordination difficulties, forming social bonds, and forming a safe space where you don’t feel disabled. What does everyone else think? Have you done sports and did you have a positive or negative experience with them?

Parents
  • Sport and exercise are not my thing.

I have motor difficulties as a result of my autism, so I have never been any good at any kind of physical activity. I'm naturally slow at physical movement, as well as being extremely clumsy and having very little spatial awareness.

At school, I was absolutely terrible at sport. Couldn't throw, catch, hit or run.

Since leaving school I've tried a variety of exercise options. I can't do any kind of exercise class because I can't watch someone else doing any kind of move, even a basic one, and work out how to copy it myself. I tried running for years, but could never improve my pace or stamina beyond even the lowest of beginner levels.

So, I've learned to incorporate fitness into my daily life, rather than doing exercise. I enjoy walking and I have an active job, which for me is now enough.

• Sport and exercise are not my thing.

I have motor difficulties as a result of my autism, so I have never been any good at any kind of physical activity. I'm naturally slow at physical movement, as well as being extremely clumsy and having very little spatial awareness.

At school, I was absolutely terrible at sport. Couldn't throw, catch, hit or run.

Since leaving school I've tried a variety of exercise options. I can't do any kind of exercise class because I can't watch someone else doing any kind of move, even a basic one, and work out how to copy it myself. I tried running for years, but could never improve my pace or stamina beyond even the lowest of beginner levels.

So, I've learned to incorporate fitness into my daily life, rather than doing exercise. I enjoy walking and I have an active job, which for me is now enough.

Children
  • As with NTs, it’s definitely not something for everyone, and I appreciate that your coordination difficulties make sports something that is very challenging for you.

But it’s great that you’ve still found your own ways to stay fit - walking certainly counts as exercise, and if you enjoy it that’s even better, and an active job is more than I manage!