Would you get your autism cured?

I have seen some people with autism answer this question online, “if there was a cure for autism, would you take it?”. For me I would definitely take it, some people might say that my autism is a part of me and that I shouldn’t change such a big part of me. But personally it’s a part that I don’t want to have, it causes so many challenges and problems in my life. I have a lot of problems in School and with other people, this has caused me to be a bit depressed at times. A lot of the time I don’t know how to deal with my emotions and that makes it even worse. This is just the start of my reasoning, so I would without hesitation take a cure. I am just curious who else would take a cure, and why or why not.

Parents
  • I wouldn't want a 'cure' for myself.  Why on earth would I want to be one of that very strange bunch of people, a Neurotypical?

There are some things some times that I don't like about being autistic, the anxiety mainly.  But I can put up with that.  

I enjoy being what I am.  My childish habits, my mind sometimes wandering into a fantasy land in a place only I know about, the thinking about a problem to solve it, my obsessions, the daft jokes I come up with, my randomness, enjoying things for what they are, enjoying my own company, solitude and the sounds of nature. 

So why would I want  a cure and be changed?

• I wouldn't want a 'cure' for myself.  Why on earth would I want to be one of that very strange bunch of people, a Neurotypical?

There are some things some times that I don't like about being autistic, the anxiety mainly.  But I can put up with that.  

I enjoy being what I am.  My childish habits, my mind sometimes wandering into a fantasy land in a place only I know about, the thinking about a problem to solve it, my obsessions, the daft jokes I come up with, my randomness, enjoying things for what they are, enjoying my own company, solitude and the sounds of nature. 

So why would I want  a cure and be changed?

Children
  • Right on Trainspotter :-) I was talking to my friend at my autism group today while he was writing out stuff about trains. He’s an avid trainspotter, which I didn’t know about. He’s such an interesting guy. Autistic people are the only people I really find interesting and all of them interest me. I just love our diversity and the depth of our obsessions. I love how we talk. We have a shared language. I love how much we care for each other which is also like a silent invisible connection. Nt’s have a similar language and connection with each other, but honestly, they’re nowhere near as interesting and as fun as us lot. :-)