The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • I have found the following book helpful. Peterson, Toby Autism and prayer. From my point of view is a crunch point. Its where it all starts and finishes. AS is a different way of existing that mostly in the church don't get. My experience is at 51 and going through assessment now. I have been a Christian since 19. To the outside world this does not matter. To me it is everything and just the start. The whole church experience is for a neuro typical one because the mind set is roman in its origin. it is controlling and it conformist in its spiritual roots. So mostly established churches will by default will be conformist to a certain pattern. o identify the pattern and decide whether you fit into it. Then comes the whole interaction bit. If you know you are an aspie and are comfortable with sharing then inform the people around you that matter if their behaviour or conversation bothers you. God will drive the lonely into relationships and community and fellowship because we exist to demonstrate part of gods nature that Nero typicals cant show. Don't use your condition as an excuse but an explanation. Master your senses and your abilities and plough them back into god. Be obsessed about knowing and finding and experiencing God. Know and be comfortable in your own unique and god given body. Explore your senses to relate to the community of god in a level that many church folk don't even know exists. I follow Mike Parsons who has some useful teaching on self identity. Know your enemy. Satan is there to lie kill cheat  so recognise how he does that in you and stop him. up till last year I was on anti depressants. not any more don't need them and no condemnatory thinking gone. with this assessment and using the 50 question online assessment I have Partnered with the spirit to allow transformation peace joy and self control. Paul went into the dessert and found himself before doing mission and the same for Jesus. They are my role models. church is an okay physical experience but I cant do the whole relating the church people thing anymore. I just go for the worship and being with the body as a whole. IF people chose to want to know me for who I am and what I am then that's different but I don't go looking for it. I look for the most charismatic expression of the body because that's where the most tolerance is of the unusual  and where mostly the more genuine Christian folk hang out. Ive attended a lot of stuff in my Christian walk. there is more to the Christian experience than is encountered in churches today and aspies are part of the key to helping the church unlock more.

• I have found the following book helpful. Peterson, Toby Autism and prayer. From my point of view is a crunch point. Its where it all starts and finishes. AS is a different way of existing that mostly in the church don't get. My experience is at 51 and going through assessment now. I have been a Christian since 19. To the outside world this does not matter. To me it is everything and just the start. The whole church experience is for a neuro typical one because the mind set is roman in its origin. it is controlling and it conformist in its spiritual roots. So mostly established churches will by default will be conformist to a certain pattern. o identify the pattern and decide whether you fit into it. Then comes the whole interaction bit. If you know you are an aspie and are comfortable with sharing then inform the people around you that matter if their behaviour or conversation bothers you. God will drive the lonely into relationships and community and fellowship because we exist to demonstrate part of gods nature that Nero typicals cant show. Don't use your condition as an excuse but an explanation. Master your senses and your abilities and plough them back into god. Be obsessed about knowing and finding and experiencing God. Know and be comfortable in your own unique and god given body. Explore your senses to relate to the community of god in a level that many church folk don't even know exists. I follow Mike Parsons who has some useful teaching on self identity. Know your enemy. Satan is there to lie kill cheat  so recognise how he does that in you and stop him. up till last year I was on anti depressants. not any more don't need them and no condemnatory thinking gone. with this assessment and using the 50 question online assessment I have Partnered with the spirit to allow transformation peace joy and self control. Paul went into the dessert and found himself before doing mission and the same for Jesus. They are my role models. church is an okay physical experience but I cant do the whole relating the church people thing anymore. I just go for the worship and being with the body as a whole. IF people chose to want to know me for who I am and what I am then that's different but I don't go looking for it. I look for the most charismatic expression of the body because that's where the most tolerance is of the unusual  and where mostly the more genuine Christian folk hang out. Ive attended a lot of stuff in my Christian walk. there is more to the Christian experience than is encountered in churches today and aspies are part of the key to helping the church unlock more.

Children
  • Thanks for your message, I will try the book you recommend. I have always struggled in social situations, but have only recently found out that I might have Asperger's syndrome. Although it is easier at the church, perhaps because many of the people there are actively trying to be inclusive and polite, I still have never really felt like part of it. I always assumed it was my fault.