The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • There are many different styles of worship, and I think some are more naturally autism friendly than others. My son, who is on the autistic spectrum, couldn't stand the noise level and the number of people milling about at ours, and there was a girl there who picked on him as well. He couldn't understand why, as a Christian, she was being so horrible, and gave up on the whole thing.  I think that if there are enough people in the congregation, (and ideally the leadership) who understand ASD that an adjustment or modification could be made, but it didn't happen here.

Do you know of any churches where there are autism friendly sermons or meetings?

• Unfortunately not, but I am trying to persuade our minister to try breaking the sermon down into a number of mini-sermons. We already do it for all age worship with a number of distinct segments, so why not with a normal sermon. Most people can not concentrate for more than fifteen minutes and they start to wane after five, so why not a series of short punchy mini-sermons. 

Mind you I suspect the Quaker’s is probably the most autistic friendly worship style as it’s almost if not actually silent as I understand it. 

I feel a sense of distress about your son as that’s very unfortunate. Did you ever bring the problem up with her parents or the ministry team? As that’s kind of the thing that’s covered by Matthew 18:15-16

• As far as the bullying went, it was happening outside of the hall, and my son didn't tell me about it. I found out from someone else, when it was already too late to sort it out. The issues with sensitivity to noise, etc. weren't really addressed, because it was just him. He spent a few weeks sitting quietly in a side room playing Nintendo with my husband and I taking it in turns to sit with him, before refusing to come at all. I hadn't realised how sad I felt about it until I came to write it down here, I am almost in tears typing this. Sorry.

• As far as the bullying went, it was happening outside of the hall, and my son didn't tell me about it. I found out from someone else, when it was already too late to sort it out. The issues with sensitivity to noise, etc. weren't really addressed, because it was just him. He spent a few weeks sitting quietly in a side room playing Nintendo with my husband and I taking it in turns to sit with him, before refusing to come at all. I hadn't realised how sad I felt about it until I came to write it down here, I am almost in tears typing this. Sorry.

Children