The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • I'm trying to tell if this is my psychosis or not: are lots of Christians superficial?

• Socially superficial. As in adopting pleasantries and politeness, but not really meaning them and deep down not really wanting to associate with you or even like you in the first place.

• Whilst as I have not been sexually abused I can not sympathise or empathise with you in that regard, I can when it come sot church and abuse. You see from the age of around eight onwards my father was a church minister and he and my mother were not only always busy with church stuff, to the detriment of family stuff in my view, but I was also expected to help with church stuff regardless of whether I wanted to or not. Hence, for me church has a lot of baggage and going to it more so, but I have a strong faith and lean on the Lord, not as much as I probably should do and I know I am not a particularly good Christian at times, but I do have faith. So whilst there are wicked people in the church and outside of it, at least one of the most infamous American serial killers was in fact a church elder,  that does not mean that all Christians and church goers are bad people. Whilst I for one believe the church as a collective whole should be more welcoming than it often is, from that perspective it is often no different to non-church organisations. Let's face it, even an autism group is often not that welcoming and is probably more a biological issue than a human trait, as it makes sense for any group to be non-welcoming at first until such time as the person is proved safe in order to protect the herd. So is there a question here that maybe our expectations when we go to church are too high? There is an interesting verse in Kacey Musgraves' "Follow your Arrow", which goes:

"If you don't go to church you'll go to hell (uuh)
    If you're the first one on the front row
    You're a self-righteous son of a
    Can't win for losing
    You'll just disappoint 'em
    Just 'cause you can't beat 'em
    Don't mean you should join 'em"

• fair dos everyone has right to agree to disagree.its just nice to be part of this forum. regards gaz

Reply Children
No Data