First aid course

Parents
  • Hi Alopochen

There was a lot of standing around involved as you had to be there to cover the possibility of someone needing help.  When you stand around in a high visibility vest you get a lot of people assuming you know everything about the event so we often learnt the layout of the venue so that we could direct people to where they wanted to go!!!

You have to be willing to deal with whatever arrives.  So everything from a sticking plaster to someone who needs an emergency ambulance and their panicking relatives. You are never on duty alone though so you do have support.  You also have to be good at hiding your feelings and trying to look like you are very calm and know exactly what you are doing.  That bit I was quite good at as I have spent a lifetime being able to hide my real thoughts and saying what I have learnt I should say.  But can you imagine someone appearing with a bone sticking out of their leg and saying "****(&*^, that looks horrible".  No, you had to show a reaction more along the lines of "oh we do this all the time, you're in good hands".  I learnt a few stock phrases as I find it difficult to know how to reassure people.  How I gain reassurance does not always seem to be the way some other people gain reassurance.  But I was able to learn a few of the 'right' things to say to get me through that bit.

I think it's great that you are interested and considering doing a one day course.  Even if you remember just one thing from it then it will be worth doing.  Actually one of the best things that anyone can do in first aid is just to be with the person whilst more help arrives so they know they are not alone.  Reassure that help is on it's way and that you won't leave them until help arrives.  That kind of thing.  But of course being able to put someone in the recovery position and having a bit of experience of CPR is also good.

Whilst there is theory to learn I've found that the first aid courses tend to focus on the practical as that is important.  So if you learn well by doing things then it's a great course for you.

Good luck.

• What a very odd response that is, and incredibly unhelpful too.  And to think how many times I've been called 'weird'........  

I hope you were able to reassure your mother that it wasn't quite that bleak.  Unfortunately after a break there can remain an element of weakness and even when recovered you have to be a little more careful with the area that broke, but the arm is definitely not 'finished'.  If this was a while ago then I'm sure you already know that the arm can heal and she should be able to use it generally quite well.  Just maybe not become a boxer!

I agree with you about the compassion and sensitivity on this site.  I remain surprised that being autistic is automatically associated with 'lack of empathy' and then this is taken to mean something broader by some people.  But there is no real acknowledgement of the complexities of the phrase 'lack of empathy' or what that actually means, whether it's even correct or whether we're mistaking empathy, understanding, compassion, etc.  I really wish the 'lack of empathy' label could be dropped so that we can move on and acknowledge that being autistic can mean a lot of different things, including having a great capacity for compassion and understanding.  This has been demonstrated over and over again by everyone who contributes to this site.

• Very good advice.  

I am continually surprised how compassionate and sensitive people on this website (and on the autism spectrum) are.

In my past I've experienced many people who have no compassion whatsoever.  Just two faced and deceitful.  

Like, when my mother broke her wrist and had a plaster cast from fingers to elbow.

A neighbour came round appearing to show concern and was curious what would be happening next.

I explained that the cast would be on for around 5 weeks, when it came off the wrist would be very weak and slowly over a period of months the bones would heal and regain their strength.

She started shouting. "STOP BEING DAFT, WHEN BONES BREAK.  THAT'S IT. THE ARMS FINISHED". Then she stormed out.

• Very good advice.  

I am continually surprised how compassionate and sensitive people on this website (and on the autism spectrum) are.

In my past I've experienced many people who have no compassion whatsoever.  Just two faced and deceitful.  

Like, when my mother broke her wrist and had a plaster cast from fingers to elbow.

A neighbour came round appearing to show concern and was curious what would be happening next.

I explained that the cast would be on for around 5 weeks, when it came off the wrist would be very weak and slowly over a period of months the bones would heal and regain their strength.

She started shouting. "STOP BEING DAFT, WHEN BONES BREAK.  THAT'S IT. THE ARMS FINISHED". Then she stormed out.

Children
  • What a very odd response that is, and incredibly unhelpful too.  And to think how many times I've been called 'weird'........  

I hope you were able to reassure your mother that it wasn't quite that bleak.  Unfortunately after a break there can remain an element of weakness and even when recovered you have to be a little more careful with the area that broke, but the arm is definitely not 'finished'.  If this was a while ago then I'm sure you already know that the arm can heal and she should be able to use it generally quite well.  Just maybe not become a boxer!

I agree with you about the compassion and sensitivity on this site.  I remain surprised that being autistic is automatically associated with 'lack of empathy' and then this is taken to mean something broader by some people.  But there is no real acknowledgement of the complexities of the phrase 'lack of empathy' or what that actually means, whether it's even correct or whether we're mistaking empathy, understanding, compassion, etc.  I really wish the 'lack of empathy' label could be dropped so that we can move on and acknowledge that being autistic can mean a lot of different things, including having a great capacity for compassion and understanding.  This has been demonstrated over and over again by everyone who contributes to this site.