Treatment

Hi, 

I'm on the waiting list of apparent no end for a confirmed diagnosis.

I've been back and forth through the local mental health services and now I'm on their kit list (keep in touch) where they call once a year to check in.

I'm apparently unresponsive to treatment and they can't offer any other help.

I've complained to the NHS and they replied today saying that the current waiting list in my area is approximately four years and I am somewhere on it; but they can't or won't be more specific.They blame underfunding and a dramatic increase of referrals.

I've even written to my MP who obviously blamed the former government and re-stated that the new government was going to improve services over time.

Where do I go from here?

Parents
  • That entirely depends what you're looking for, and which NHS trust you are under.

If it's a piece of paper that says 'this is the problem' it may be worth looking into private diagnosis, or right to choose. 

If it's a specific bit of help you could get after having the diagnosis such as adjustment at work, you may be able to get that help with a letter from the GP or mental health services.

If it's treatment to make the bits that autism make difficult go away, that's not going to happen, but you can find new ways of helping and navigating them especially if you know that autism is the likely background.

What are the challenges you want to overcome here? We can offer advice if they're things we've overcome before. 

• I'm aware that the official diagnosis doesn't change anything other than the ability to ask for reasonable adjustments from my employer.

The local M/H service have said that since SSRI/SNRIs CBT etc offer no real benefit to me, they can not offer anything further until my diagnosis comes through.

I don't know what they can offer as there is no treatment, they just tinker around the edge (depression/anxiety). But since the usual treatments for these don't work for me, I'm at an impasse.

I feel a sort of loss/grief but not from something I've lost or missed out on, it's just a feeling or weight of "unhappiness" (for want of a better word).

I've been diagnosed with dysthymia and alexithymia. My head feels so cloudy and I can't focus.

Hence, where do I go from here. Different medication, therapy or treatment (whatever they may be)

I work, have a family, dogs, car, enough money to not to have to worry about it. In saying that something seems to be missing.

• I'm aware that the official diagnosis doesn't change anything other than the ability to ask for reasonable adjustments from my employer.

The local M/H service have said that since SSRI/SNRIs CBT etc offer no real benefit to me, they can not offer anything further until my diagnosis comes through.

I don't know what they can offer as there is no treatment, they just tinker around the edge (depression/anxiety). But since the usual treatments for these don't work for me, I'm at an impasse.

I feel a sort of loss/grief but not from something I've lost or missed out on, it's just a feeling or weight of "unhappiness" (for want of a better word).

I've been diagnosed with dysthymia and alexithymia. My head feels so cloudy and I can't focus.

Hence, where do I go from here. Different medication, therapy or treatment (whatever they may be)

I work, have a family, dogs, car, enough money to not to have to worry about it. In saying that something seems to be missing.

Children
  • Well in terms of a treatment you haven't mentioned that I did find useful, DBT.

You may have given it a go and found it not useful, but in my case it was much better for me as it focused much more on actions, rather than mysterious feelings I couldn't even identify anyway. It can be difficult to access on the NHS, my university offered it to me, and it tends to be in groups which can be difficult, but overall I found it a net positive.

You haven't mentioned any hobbies. Do you have any interests?