A question for those with ADHD or ADD

A question for those with #ADHD or #ADD. Do you experience what I call 'information overload' when presented with a lot of data/information about a subject.? You feel overwhelmed and struggle to organise your thoughts.
Parents
  • I will preface this by saying I suspect I have ADHD (so AuDHD I guess) but haven’t been screened as I don’t really want to go through the process. Hopefully it’s still ok to post.

I’m not sure if this is how it is for you, but for me my brain pretty much wants to switch itself off during times like that. I get this with overly complex instructions, also if someone is talking at length to me, I have to move my eye focus on to something extremely boring, like a wall, to continue to be able to pull all of my focus onto what they’re saying. Otherwise I’ll get distracted by something else and my mind will wander. Before we realised this about me, my husband thought he was just being boring Dizzy face‍ Self awareness is really important. Now he feels a lot better knowing why I do that. I didn’t even realise it was something I was doing, it must be so ingrained. No wonder people think I’m weird…

As for instructions, I get really overwhelmed. I had some instructions for a medication and when I unfolded it, it was like  unfolding a bloody map! Freaking thing was huge and dense with instructions /shudder

• Thank you. I'm not dxed but it's been suggested I may have ADD by a number of people dxed with it . Possible indicators - 'information overload'(acute  anxiety can accompany that)  'variable level of focussing', organising and planning difficulties,hard to prioritise steps to be taken in multistep tasks, mind wandering(for want of a better term)

• Thank you. I'm not dxed but it's been suggested I may have ADD by a number of people dxed with it . Possible indicators - 'information overload'(acute  anxiety can accompany that)  'variable level of focussing', organising and planning difficulties,hard to prioritise steps to be taken in multistep tasks, mind wandering(for want of a better term)

Children
  • it depends on the information and how its delievered, Some people are bad explainers and jump about all over the place giving 3 or 4 different ways of doing something and I get confused. Some types of information I find harder to follow than others and like everybody else when faced with an IKEA set of instructions I throw them away and put the thing together in what seems the most logical way and still end up with a screw left over! I am however very good at organising things and planning.