For autistic individuals with BDD, how do you cope with having photos of you taken?

I know this is an autism website, but apparently, autistic folks are more likely to suffer with BDD. I’ve received therapy in the past to cope with my BDD but there’s one issue I struggle to get over. That being photos. Unfortunately, my BDD is based on the fact that I’m actually ugly. I’m not a pretty person who doesn’t see her beauty. I’m a ugly woman who is severely depressed and sometimes passively suicidal about the fact. Many men in my life have made it clear that I’m unattractive. And no matter how much I try to improve my looks, I will always remain ugly.

with that being said, my family still likes having family photos and it generally makes me die inside. It always ends up with me isolating myself, crying, and ruining everything.

i know I’ll never be attractive. But how can I cope with people taking photos of me, when I look disgusting?

Parents
  • I don't have my photo taken. I have the same disorder. BDD. Pm me if you wanna talk about it.

• I have the same disorder. BDD. Pm me if you wanna talk about it.

As you have BDD and seem to have some advice to offer, it would be great if you could do that here, in the open forum, rather than requiring the OP to private message you. Over time, it can then also benefit others.

If the subject area is too sensitive for you to discuss openly, then I understand and please accept my apologies. However, our identities are anonymised here, so that particular aspect shouldn't be an issue.

My main concern about your post is that it risks seeming like you (a man who has posted recently in the forum about wanting to find a girlfriend) are requiring this nice lady to private message with you in return for receiving your advice. Which seems less than ideal, imo.

• I have the same disorder. BDD. Pm me if you wanna talk about it.

As you have BDD and seem to have some advice to offer, it would be great if you could do that here, in the open forum, rather than requiring the OP to private message you. Over time, it can then also benefit others.

If the subject area is too sensitive for you to discuss openly, then I understand and please accept my apologies. However, our identities are anonymised here, so that particular aspect shouldn't be an issue.

My main concern about your post is that it risks seeming like you (a man who has posted recently in the forum about wanting to find a girlfriend) are requiring this nice lady to private message with you in return for receiving your advice. Which seems less than ideal, imo.

Children
No Data