Autism and Bipolar Disorder

I have long been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, which I experience as all the depressive bits without the mania. 

My new psychiatrist says I am also autistic, and has referred me for diagnosis.

I am now wondering if my recurrent depression is in fact autistic burnout? It has always been a bit of mystery what triggers the depression as there doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Does anyone else have experience of such dual diagnosis?

Thank you.

Parents
  • I've experienced something similar. One psychiatrist diagnosed bipolar 2, which surprised me, because I don't recognise hypomania in myself at all. Another psychiatrist considered that there was no basis for a bipolar diagnosis, as there was no hypomania. Now that autism is on the cards for me, it seems a lot easier for me to make sense of my experience. I feel that much of my depression stems from my trying and not being able to meet the demands of social situations. I also think I may struggle to interpret uncomfortable physical sensations. My reaction is to withdraw, "shut down", and get depressed. At least that's part of the picture for me, though it's undoubtedly more complicated than that.

• I've experienced something similar. One psychiatrist diagnosed bipolar 2, which surprised me, because I don't recognise hypomania in myself at all. Another psychiatrist considered that there was no basis for a bipolar diagnosis, as there was no hypomania. Now that autism is on the cards for me, it seems a lot easier for me to make sense of my experience. I feel that much of my depression stems from my trying and not being able to meet the demands of social situations. I also think I may struggle to interpret uncomfortable physical sensations. My reaction is to withdraw, "shut down", and get depressed. At least that's part of the picture for me, though it's undoubtedly more complicated than that.

Children
No Data