Neurodiversity in the workplace

Hello all 

I am my works neurodiversity champion, I am looking to put together a small library that my colleagues can access. Is there recommended/endorsed reading by the NAS  on autism and autism in the the workplace?   

• Thanks Mark. I’m actually interested to do this as full time as possible currently this is an extra that I don’t get paid for. 

• Thank you lain, this is most helpful. We are really trying hard to be as inclusive as possible. This will hopefully bridge the gap between people who are proactive about asking for adjustments at work and people who are shy or curious. 

• Thank you for your advice. Luckily the senior management are very open to ND and we have several employees who have Autistic children. 

• Even more fed up now - as even that short version was quarantined by the filters, but now thankfully released. So I daren't even fix my "apologies" typo! 

• NAS offers a variety of resources that can be accessed via this page:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/employment

[Apologises that I haven't linked all of them here individually; I'm fed up (to the point of potentially quitting) with this forum categorising comprehensive replies as spam, even when they only refer to internal NAS resources].

• make sure to include your supervisors because as supervisors and bosses in control positions they are likely sociopaths or pshycopatjs themselves, you should hint to them at that and hint that they maybe neurodivergent on that ground lol

• Is there recommended/endorsed reading by the NAS  on autism and autism in the the workplace?  

I'm not aware of any NAS approved reading lists, but I can recommend the following:

Understanding Autism For Dummies - Stephen Shore, Linda G. Rastelli, Temple Grandin (2006)
    ISBN 0764525476

Taking Off the Mask: Practical Exercises to Help Understand and Minimise the Effects of Autistic Camouflaging
    Hannah Louise Belcher
    ISBN 9781787755901

Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism - Grandin, Temple, Barron, Sean (2017)
    ISBN 9781941765388

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

Self-Regulation and Mindfulness - Over 82 Exercises & Worksheets for Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, & Autism Spectrum Disorder - Varleisha D. Gibbs (2017)
    ISBN 9781683730620

Stress-Free Small Talk - How to Master the Art of Conversation and Take Control of Your Social Anxiety - Gallagher LMFT, Richard S  (2020)
    ISBN‎ 1641528958

Aspergers and Adulthood - A Guide to Working, Loving, and Living With Aspergers Syndrome - Blythe Grossberg PsyD (2015)
    ISBN: Print 9781623156602
    eBook 9781623156596

I would recommend researching them from their reviews on a site like goodreads.com rather than Amazon as Amazon tends to get influenced by the publishers so always seems to get positive reviews.

If any are not in print then they are available to download from free from the Libgen network - I'm not sure if posting links to this is approved here.

This should cover most bases to start with.

• Such a good idea. I can't help, but this is great and your role is great!