Studying causing anxiety and burnout

Hello I'm new here and currently training to become a pediatric nurse but it's causing me anxiety and now what I think might be burnout. So far the studying has been a smooth process with very little stress but now I'm coming up to actually having to do mock exams and it's making me anxious. 

I'm OK with tests but having to go out to them in a large class is overwhelming to think about let alone actually do for real. I'm slightly disappointed as I thought I was over the worst of my anxiety and yet here it is like old times.

And then there's the burnout. It feels like autistic burnout but somehow worse than the first time I had it which I can't really afford to endure for the next year again. It will really destroy my studying and exams; and I can't let that happen to me. 

My burnout is exhaustion all the time, worse after doing something and I feel exhausted still even after a full night of sleep. This time it's causing me to struggle to remember things, so annoying, it's impacting my studying now and I don't know what to do about it. 

All this is adding to my stress making the anxiety worse and causing me to feel even more exhausted than before. I'm unsure what to do about this. It can't go on because it's ruining my life and I don't think the doctors will do anything as last time I had burnout they wouldn't do anything, just told me it was fatigue from anxiety and to take Sertraline and that made it even worse.

What helped you during burnout? 

If you have anything you think might help me please let me know. I'm desperate to get through this asap. 

• When I did my first degree (and when at school) it was a time where it just wasn’t on anybody’s radar that an intelligent young woman would need any sort of help or support but I ended up repeating my second and third years and then leaving with a diploma instead of a degree because I still failed the third year on attempt two. That was back when fees were £1000 max and means tested (my Mum didn’t have to pay) and the loan was £3k per year as well and my student loan is still huge from it! Will be paying it until my mid 40s at least. Definitely reach out for help, like you said crashing and burning when you’ve worked so hard will absolutely suck. I’ve been there! Good luck 

• Hello. Thank you for replying to my OP and for the helpful suggestions. I haven't asked actually but now you mention it it's highly likely they could put me in a secluded quiet room to make things easier, I'm pretty sure they did this for someone before, a man who had ADHD who was struggling. I do have an official diagnosis and though I didn't want to disclose it I feel now I'm probably going to have to if I want to pass this. 

As you rightly pointed out it's better to risk the judgement which may or may not happen rather than crash and burn, which will happen sooner or later, if I don't get this sorted out. 

Medication is something I consider on a regular basis. The Sertraline is definitely a big N'O. It had a really negative effect on me, unsure why but I know there's other anti anxiety meds out there so I will have to get in touch with the gp and try to find one which will help me. I'm sure there's one out there it might just take a while to hit on the right one. 

But again, that too is better than crashing and burning. 

Thanks for your reply. It's been very helpful and given me a few things to think about. 

Much appreciated!

• they don't know and I have thought of disclosing it but I worry they'll judge

I would recommend changing this ASAP to get you access to the things you need.

It may be better to risk their judgement than crash and burn.

• I'm OK with tests but having to go out to them in a large class is overwhelming

Have you spoken to the organisation that provides the tests and pointed out this issue for you? They may have the option of quiet rooms with individual invigilators since autism is a disability (I'm assuming you have a diagnisis here).

If this is the root cause of the anxiety then having this option should reduce a lot of the built up anxiety.

My burnout is exhaustion all the time, worse after doing something and I feel exhausted still even after a full night of sleep.

Have you spoken to your GP about medication to help you sleep better? A combination of healthy eating, some exercise an a solid nights sleep should give your body and mind the state it they need to function well.

The snowball effect you are experiencing is really hard to break from, but finding a version of mindfulness may help you rationalise a lot of the issues which are building up and help you find a balance of medication and lifestyle to keep you in a good working zone.

Getting a break for long enough to "reset" is typically what is needed although it isn't always convenient.

As for finding a solution ASAP, I think medication from a psychiatrist may be your best option - they need a solid understanding of your autism and have the ability to prescribe and monotor the drugs that may help you through this urgent need.

Normally I would not suggest medication but you point out the need is urgent.

• Hello. No they don't know and I have thought of disclosing it but I worry they'll judge and I don't want to inconvenience anybody but I might have to ask otherwise I'll crash and burn and I've come this far I don't want to fail now. 

• Have you told the university that you’re autistic? Could they arrange for you to sit the exam in a smaller room at the same time as everyone else?