Meeting new families!

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can offer help or advice or in the same situation as ourselves?

We are a family consisting of myself (Amanda) my husband Phillip and our daughter Lillie Mae who is 17 years old. We also have other children but they have flown the nest!

We are based in rural Nottinghamshire but willing to meet up with new families from other parts of the UK as well.

Lillie Mae has autism and delayed learning, she is a happy bubbly music mad teenager. Yes she also has some of those teenage traits but is very loving and caring.

We take Lillie Mae everywhere we go have never hidden her from the world and taken whatever happens in our stride.

We are in a strange situation, as we need to be with Lillie Mae we have been trying to meet other families in our situation who would like to widen their families friendship group with other families that have some understanding of the situation they may also be in. 

For example when we take Lillie Mae to outdoor concerts you can see she is crying out to have another teen their to enjoy the atmosphere.

We are now finding out that being with your parents isn't all that cool!!

Lillie Mae never complains about it but would love her to have wider friendship group to enjoy activities.

So if there are any families out there in a similar position who would like to connect meet up and see if we could be a good dynamic for each other feel free to reach out.

• Hello Amanda,

It's great that you want to find new friends for your daughter. You could try the NAS directory: https://www.autism.org.uk/autism-services-directory

Hopefully you will find something nearby.

Also, I saw that you have posted this same post earlier today. Since it's exactly the same post, I've deleted it. 

All the best,

Karin Mod

• Ahh good luck and well done reaching out. My son 24 we live in Somerset so not much use to you. Maybe entitle your post to " looking for social contacts In..." whatever area you are....it's hard I know we and so many others in the same.boat who love our children dearly and want the best etc ...