Opinions: Do we believe the NHS is capable of helping autistic people with mental health problems?

I’m autistic, and I’ve been dealing with depression and social anxiety for over a decade, now. My family has been battling the NHS to get the little support I have now. I am wondering how other autistic people are finding the NHS.

My first issue is that there are no autistic professionals accessible to me, which means I’m having to try and educate every professional I encounter on autism. I’ve been struggling to properly understand what autism is, myself, so I haven’t been doing great. I’m thankful to have an Adult Autism Intensive Support Team that operates in my area, because they have now taken up the role of educating NHS professionals on autism, but that means I’m now having to hope these other human beings internalise what is said to them, view me as equal, and treat my problems as equally as serious as a non-autistic person’s problems, which has happened rarely so far, it feels.

My second issue is the interactions with the professionals who do not care that I am autistic. Having a psychiatric doctor laugh when I told him I was autistic, asking me if it was something I had read on the internet. Having an occupational therapist try asking me to separate myself from my autism. Medication being the solution, for the time being, while I waste years of my life terrified of the world around me. I wonder what else there is that I’ve forgotten to mention. I should document the things that make me feel miserable.

If I were a caged animal, I’d have somebody in my corner. Somebody would scream “This is neglect!” Unfortunately, I’m an autistic human, so I don’t really have that. I have a team of NHS employees in my corner, who aren’t willing to bite the hand that feeds them, verbally, of course. Who would be willing to criticise the one that pays them, that gives them what they need to make it to the next day? I’m trapped, because they’re trapped. I’m losing hope. I have no faith in the NHS, or in British society to force our political leaders, those whose jobs it is to serve the people of our nation, to come to the aid of any autistic person.

In short: I have no faith in the NHS’ ability to help autistic people. How about you?

Parents
  • Im thankful to have an Adult Autism Intensive Support Team that operates in my area

Can you access this service? 

I agree with a lot that you have said, and have similar exoerience x

• It is a thundering disgrace that this is not rolled out nationally, along with the best practice and latest research findings and treatments from around the world, including Austrailia, which the NHS is more than capable of doing - we also have to seriously question and robustly challenge the kind of people who are being placed in positions of leadership in the NHS as some of their decisions over the years have been highly questionable, involving the mismanagement and misuse of public funds 

• It is a thundering disgrace that this is not rolled out nationally, along with the best practice and latest research findings and treatments from around the world, including Austrailia, which the NHS is more than capable of doing - we also have to seriously question and robustly challenge the kind of people who are being placed in positions of leadership in the NHS as some of their decisions over the years have been highly questionable, involving the mismanagement and misuse of public funds 

Children
No Data