How to support anxious ASD teenage daughter who doesn't like to talk?

Hi,

My daughter is sitting her GCSEs this year but her anxiety is so high she is likely to miss them. 

When we try and understand the various concerns driving this, so we can work together to put practical tools into place, she refuses to talk after a couple of minutes as she does not like to talk ( she is very capable to talk on her topics). She will not text or write them down either.

Appreciate advice is often accepted better from a stranger than parents, so does anyone know of a type of therapist that works more visually or able to encourage discussion?

Or any other ideas you may have tried that help.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Art therapy? A good art therapist will use a drawing or pattern to draw out from the artist what it means to them. They won't make assumptions from the start about what it means, when I did some art therapy training we were given a picture of a garden of a house on a sunny day and asked what we thought it represented? Most people said it was a lovely happy picture with lots of bright colours and sunshine, the teacher said, 'No, it's a hayfever sufferers nightmare'.

• Art therapy? A good art therapist will use a drawing or pattern to draw out from the artist what it means to them. They won't make assumptions from the start about what it means, when I did some art therapy training we were given a picture of a garden of a house on a sunny day and asked what we thought it represented? Most people said it was a lovely happy picture with lots of bright colours and sunshine, the teacher said, 'No, it's a hayfever sufferers nightmare'.

Children