Meltdown or something more?

Hello my 15 year old son has recently been diagnosed with autism and has been suffering from a significant burnout. Previously he had what at the time I believed to be panic attacks but now he is having massive meltdowns which are really scary. During them he is completely out of control, self injures, shouts out disturbing intrusive  thoughts and does odd things like hiding under mats, comando crawling along the floor. Is this sort of behaviour usual during a meltdown? Has anyone experienced something similar? I am concerned he has other MH conditions. Trying to seek psychiatric support via CAMHS which is just hopeless. 

Parents
  • Hi Imogen

My son has meltdowns from masking all day at school. I distract him by doing things with him he can get lost in and enjoy. I also try to keep a routine in the evening before bed. Hot horlicks drink, hot water bottle and weighted blanket. I also give him a selection of fidget toys in bed. 
    A lot of the time though I think they just need to get it out and move on, it’s not nice when they are in that moment I agree. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help but if I figure it out I’ll let you know 

Good luck

• Thank you for sharing what you do! My son isn’t at school at the moment as it’s just too much. He’s generally managing day to day and I do some of the thing you suggest (mit’s try fidget toys!) but I’m concerned by the type of meltdowns that have developed and just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar. 

• Thank you for sharing what you do! My son isn’t at school at the moment as it’s just too much. He’s generally managing day to day and I do some of the thing you suggest (mit’s try fidget toys!) but I’m concerned by the type of meltdowns that have developed and just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar. 

Children
No Data