Meltdown or something more?

Hello my 15 year old son has recently been diagnosed with autism and has been suffering from a significant burnout. Previously he had what at the time I believed to be panic attacks but now he is having massive meltdowns which are really scary. During them he is completely out of control, self injures, shouts out disturbing intrusive  thoughts and does odd things like hiding under mats, comando crawling along the floor. Is this sort of behaviour usual during a meltdown? Has anyone experienced something similar? I am concerned he has other MH conditions. Trying to seek psychiatric support via CAMHS which is just hopeless. 

Parents
  • 1. try to minimise the triggers.  Lighting, sound, textures of clothes, food, number of people / conversations going on etc...

2. Private consult is the way to go, if you can afford it.  The NHS is utterly f-ing useless.  I say 'consult', because the purpose would be to get an autism experts opinion on the best route forward.

• 1. try to minimise the triggers.  Lighting, sound, textures of clothes, food, number of people / conversations going on etc...

2. Private consult is the way to go, if you can afford it.  The NHS is utterly f-ing useless.  I say 'consult', because the purpose would be to get an autism experts opinion on the best route forward.

Children