Taking time off for burnout?

Hi all. 

I’m experiencing what I think might be burnout. I’m having panic attacks trying to get myself into work, crying a lot, feeling tired and unmotivated. My job is increasingly stressful this year because of changes and higher expectations than previous years. I’m in this inbetween where I don’t feel like I could find another job that I could actually do because of the social struggles of my autism. My boss is supportive and I have an incredibly supportive coworker but there is only so much they can do to help me. 

I wondered if anyone had ever taken a period of time off work for burnout, like signed off maybe, for a few weeks/months and did that help to reset? I wondered if having a break to focus on recovery might make it possible to me to continue in my current job instead of just quitting. 

I feel like I’d like to sleep a lot and play Pokemon for several hours a day to see if I can find some joy Joy

Parents
  • I have struggled wit burnout / anxiety for the past 3 years (since having the 1st COVID vaccine) and have had a lot of time off work from a day or 2 to several months. I was diagnosed ASD level 1 late last year and then FND a couple of months later. These diagnoses did provide some answers and helped me feel more in control of myself.

Unfortunately, whilst my employer has been supportive over the past 3 years, they are [rightly] concerned about my ability to continue working and having to take a lot less time off. This has come to the point where they are offering me a settlement agreement which effectively means that I will leave with a compensatory payment and they will be exonerated from any claims of unfair dismissal or disability discrimination. 

If your employer is supportive, then it may be a good idea to take some time out.
    However, there is no guarantee that things would be any different after you take a week or a couple of months off.
    If your employer is still happy to support you, then I would advise that you stay with them for the foreseeable future.

• I have struggled wit burnout / anxiety for the past 3 years (since having the 1st COVID vaccine) and have had a lot of time off work from a day or 2 to several months. I was diagnosed ASD level 1 late last year and then FND a couple of months later. These diagnoses did provide some answers and helped me feel more in control of myself.

Unfortunately, whilst my employer has been supportive over the past 3 years, they are [rightly] concerned about my ability to continue working and having to take a lot less time off. This has come to the point where they are offering me a settlement agreement which effectively means that I will leave with a compensatory payment and they will be exonerated from any claims of unfair dismissal or disability discrimination. 

If your employer is supportive, then it may be a good idea to take some time out.
    However, there is no guarantee that things would be any different after you take a week or a couple of months off.
    If your employer is still happy to support you, then I would advise that you stay with them for the foreseeable future.

Children
No Data