Burnout or depression? or both :''')

Hellooo, I am really in need of some advice from other autistic people that have experienced something similar, which I'm sure a lot of you have!

I'm 20 and tried to go to uni last year, got into law at a great uni, but after like a month and a half my mental health absolutely spiralled and I dropped out six moths later. It has been almost a year since I stopped attending university and I haven't gotten better yet. I know it's going to be a very long process, but I don't feel like any progress is being made as everything feels so impossibly hard. I'm not doing well looking after myself, showering, brushing teeth, cooking etc. I almost never leave my flat. I've also started to struggle with alcohol abuse.

Do you have any tips on how to start making progress? I feel so stuck, and angry at myself. I'm in therapy, but that doesn't help with actually DOING things yk?? All replies will be greatly appreciated :)

Parents
  • I have a few things to say.

i managed to complete uni, but at great cost to myself. From the perspective of 30 years later I know why, but it would be helpful if you could truly reflect on why it challenged you.

Second point, burnout verses depression. I started to struggle badly in 2020, and there were some obvious adverse life events which could easily be blamed for that, but standard interventions did not work. Fast forward to 2023 I am diagnosed with autism and likely have ADHD too. So I may have been slightly depressed but the main problem, confirmed only months ago, was burnout not depression.

There’s such a huge overlap between the two conditions. Definitely worth exploring standard depression treatments (therapy, meds) but the cure for burnout (so I’m told) is a combination of rest and immersing in special interests.

• I have a few things to say.

i managed to complete uni, but at great cost to myself. From the perspective of 30 years later I know why, but it would be helpful if you could truly reflect on why it challenged you.

Second point, burnout verses depression. I started to struggle badly in 2020, and there were some obvious adverse life events which could easily be blamed for that, but standard interventions did not work. Fast forward to 2023 I am diagnosed with autism and likely have ADHD too. So I may have been slightly depressed but the main problem, confirmed only months ago, was burnout not depression.

There’s such a huge overlap between the two conditions. Definitely worth exploring standard depression treatments (therapy, meds) but the cure for burnout (so I’m told) is a combination of rest and immersing in special interests.

Children
  • Thank you so so much for your reply, I think I need to get over the shame that comes with taking time to rest. I've been trying to rest for a while, but there's this nagging feeling telling me that my resting makes me lazy and immoral. Hearing this from someone else is incredibly helpful. My special interest is music/singing, and I've been trying to apply to a music course that's 3 days a week, I think I'm gonna go for it! Even if it leads to nothing, I am 100% sure that it will be healing. Thank you again, I am very greatful