How to recover from burnout?

I am currently on sick leave from work due to becoming burnt out. I'm supposed to return in about two weeks but I don't know how I'm going to manage it because I don't seem to be getting any better. I feel in constant panic mode all day, the slightest stress or sensory overload sends me into a shutdown or meltdown. I struggle with basic things like showering and eating because my body just feels completely drained and small tasks seem overwhelming. My brain just isn't working and I can hardly speak. Just writing this is giving me a headache. I keep trying to look up how to recover from burnout but can't find anything helpful. I don't have the option to quit my job because of finances, so I'm so scared about not getting better and having to return to work in this state. Does anyone have anything that's helped them to recover from burnout?

Parents
  • Im sorry your feeling like this it isn't comfortable at all! When I feel like this it may not be healthy or great but it works for me, I usually make a pit of all my plushies and blankets with me in center of it on the bed then watch videos on my phone or anime (which could be any programme or film in anyone else's case) with no lights or excessive sounds. the use of phone allows me to be curled up under things. Then remain there really until a sense of hunger or thirst comes and then return to it when I have accumulated food and drink and then I remain there until I feel better. that can be a few days or more. telling anyone who you may live with also that you dont want to be disturbed. you can always get the food and drink before you get into a pile if that's something you do obviously? 

might be worth as well to speak to someone whether a friend or professional depending on whether its just a you thing or an ill thing. 

but yeah.. it's just about really really doing the BARE MINIMUM. Dont force yourself to do anything within your healing time as that can return you back into how you were feeling before. 

• Thank you for your reply. This is helpful. I have actually found my plushies and blankets helpful as well, and rewatching my comfort films has eased some of my panic. I like what you said about just doing the bare minimum, that is very reassuring, thank you.

• Thank you for your reply. This is helpful. I have actually found my plushies and blankets helpful as well, and rewatching my comfort films has eased some of my panic. I like what you said about just doing the bare minimum, that is very reassuring, thank you.

Children
  • thats ok Slight smile it is a difficult situation to be in and hard to deal with but I think it is just doing nothing and waiting for the feelings to pass by distracting yourself with things that you enjoy the most but something that allows you to stay in one place amongst other comforts which acts like a padding. also thats ok sorry I can't help anymore than that. hope you feel better soon!