Trouble sleeping

I have terrible trouble sleeping. I either can't get to sleep or I wake up multiple times throughout the night. I've always had this problem, started in my teens, but I'm still like it now despite originally everyone telling me it was a girl thing and related to puberty.

I used to think it was where I'm just weird but now I have been diagnosed with Autism and according to the woman who assessed me this is common for people with Autism.

I wonder what causes the sleep difficulties?

For me I wonder if it's anxiety related as this is something I struggle with chronically on a daily basis but it could also be things like my mind not being able to ignore things like the wind blowing, or the house creaking... Or my head aching when I lay a certain way on my pillow.

I'm very sensitive to a lot of things and I wonder if this is also causing me grief when trying to get to sleep.

I'm still learning so much about autism and myself. Sorry if this has been mentioned before and if it's not even related to Autism.

Parents
  • Hi, I have awful insomnia at times and especially recently- it can take me hours to get to sleep and even then i’ll sleep for an hour and awake again for hours and repeat. Even on good nights it takes over an hour to fall asleep and i’m awake at least once. I’ve tried all kinds of things, audiobooks used to help but now I need them to have any chance of sleeping but they don’t work anymore. I only have one cup of caffeine in morning etc. 
    What i noticed recently is that the more tired I am the less able I am to sleep (which is very frustrating and unhelpful)- I’ve been experiencing severe burnout again and have had some time off now. I know the guidance is usually: don’t sleep in if you have a bad night and don’t go to bed earlier or sleep in day but for me that doesn’t seem to apply. If I am extremely exhausted I often sleep very badly (i think i’m so over tired that i am in keep going mode and cannot sleep)-  for me to have any chance of being able to sleep again I need to catch up on sleep- usually if I am lucky and don’t have to get up and actually manage to sleep some extra hours in the morning, this can then kickstart me being able to sleep slightly better at night. 
    not sure if something similar could be happening for you? Could you be so tired that you can’t sleep? Also i put pressure on myself to sleep or know i have to get up earlier than usual it usually stops me from sleeping as well… 

I’m sure you’ve also made sure already your room doesn’t have any distracting noises or lights etc and that your bed and blanket are comfortable? What can help too is freshly washed bedding. 

• Hi, I have awful insomnia at times and especially recently- it can take me hours to get to sleep and even then i’ll sleep for an hour and awake again for hours and repeat. Even on good nights it takes over an hour to fall asleep and i’m awake at least once. I’ve tried all kinds of things, audiobooks used to help but now I need them to have any chance of sleeping but they don’t work anymore. I only have one cup of caffeine in morning etc. 
    What i noticed recently is that the more tired I am the less able I am to sleep (which is very frustrating and unhelpful)- I’ve been experiencing severe burnout again and have had some time off now. I know the guidance is usually: don’t sleep in if you have a bad night and don’t go to bed earlier or sleep in day but for me that doesn’t seem to apply. If I am extremely exhausted I often sleep very badly (i think i’m so over tired that i am in keep going mode and cannot sleep)-  for me to have any chance of being able to sleep again I need to catch up on sleep- usually if I am lucky and don’t have to get up and actually manage to sleep some extra hours in the morning, this can then kickstart me being able to sleep slightly better at night. 
    not sure if something similar could be happening for you? Could you be so tired that you can’t sleep? Also i put pressure on myself to sleep or know i have to get up earlier than usual it usually stops me from sleeping as well… 

I’m sure you’ve also made sure already your room doesn’t have any distracting noises or lights etc and that your bed and blanket are comfortable? What can help too is freshly washed bedding. 

Children
No Data