Trouble sleeping

I have terrible trouble sleeping. I either can't get to sleep or I wake up multiple times throughout the night. I've always had this problem, started in my teens, but I'm still like it now despite originally everyone telling me it was a girl thing and related to puberty.

I used to think it was where I'm just weird but now I have been diagnosed with Autism and according to the woman who assessed me this is common for people with Autism.

I wonder what causes the sleep difficulties?

For me I wonder if it's anxiety related as this is something I struggle with chronically on a daily basis but it could also be things like my mind not being able to ignore things like the wind blowing, or the house creaking... Or my head aching when I lay a certain way on my pillow.

I'm very sensitive to a lot of things and I wonder if this is also causing me grief when trying to get to sleep.

I'm still learning so much about autism and myself. Sorry if this has been mentioned before and if it's not even related to Autism.

Parents
  • Have you tried listening to relaxation sounds at all? I find it helps me centre my senses and to disregard anything else in my surroundings :) 

• Hi!

Thanks for this suggestion. Listening to relaxing sounds is something I've read of and it seems to work for a lot of people so I might try this. Maybe listening to the sea or sounds in a jungle. Just something soothing. I'm hoping it will make a difference as I'm always tired.

• Anything is worth a go :) ASMR is useful too, especially personal attention videos. Also, look on Amazon for a Bluetooth Eye Mask with built-in speakers. It blacks out the light and combined with a looped relaxation video on YouTube it becomes the most effective sleeping aid imaginable.

https://amzn.eu/d/gh2HTAu

I do hope this will aid you in some way :) 

• Anything is worth a go :) ASMR is useful too, especially personal attention videos. Also, look on Amazon for a Bluetooth Eye Mask with built-in speakers. It blacks out the light and combined with a looped relaxation video on YouTube it becomes the most effective sleeping aid imaginable.

https://amzn.eu/d/gh2HTAu

I do hope this will aid you in some way :) 

Children
  • Hey thanks so much for the link!! That sounds amazing, I've never heard of anything like it before but it sounds amazing - and plenty of reviews back it up so I've ordered it and will Prime, in theory, it should be here tomorrow so I should hopefully have a really good nights sleep.

Thanks so much for your help with this I really do appreciate it!!