How do you stay hydrated

Seriously, how?

Dehydration is something I've struggled with my entire life. As a child I was always dehydrated, I never remembered to drink, I didn't feel thirsty. I'm pretty sure when I die one day the cause of death will be dehydration, or kidney failure from too much dehydration. I was in hospital 2 weeks ago with dehydration and the nurses and doctors told me then that each time it will be damaging my kidneys. For me I'm thinking it's like my switch that tells me I'm thirsty and when I need to drink isn't switched on - because I never feel thirsty. Even when I'm in the deep end of dehydration I still don't think of having a drink. I've used app reminders but I don't feel thirsty so don't drink, I literally gag and nearly choke if I try to force myself to drink something.

At my last hospital visit a doctor, think it was a psych doctor was quizzing me on why this happens so frequently to me. I think what she was getting at was am I a psychotic trying to dehydrate myself repeatedly. I was asked if voices were telling me not to drink? I said no, it's just autism. They seriously try and drag mental health in to everything now. It's frustrating! A lot less mental health and more autism support would go a long way.

Parents
  • Would sucking ice cubes or ice lollies help with the gag reflex? They could be made at home from any liquid you can tolerate - to avoid excessive sugar intake and cost. The ice would release water slowly so it would not be like having to swallow a mouthful at one instant.

• Would sucking ice cubes or ice lollies help with the gag reflex? They could be made at home from any liquid you can tolerate - to avoid excessive sugar intake and cost. The ice would release water slowly so it would not be like having to swallow a mouthful at one instant.

Children
No Data