How to get support as an adult autist?

I ask because in the past I've sought support and the professionals always refer me to mental health, which in the beginning yes I wondered if I was mentally unwell but in that time my traits have never changed and they've given me several medications and it never once actually did anything.

So I think I can now safely say all my problems are autism related and as we all know this can't be treated! 

I wish the doctors would take out more time to read up on autism rather than keep trying to dismiss it and treat it. I've been through almost 4 years of them trying to cure my autism and it's caused a great deal of trauma for me along the way.

I feel like I need some support with my autism but I don't know where to go or who to talk to......my doctors keep referring me to mental health and I don't want to go that route again.

Parents
  • It really boils down to a point-blank refusal to understand the very nature of autism in adults with the condition and a refusal to put funding in place for adult support, because the focus and priority is on children’s autism - it’s been said to me by many community voluntary groups that when a parent brings a child to them with possible autism or related modern childhood conditions like ADHD, it turns out that it’s the parents who are displaying signs of autism but have never been diagnosed 

• It really boils down to a point-blank refusal to understand the very nature of autism in adults with the condition and a refusal to put funding in place for adult support, because the focus and priority is on children’s autism - it’s been said to me by many community voluntary groups that when a parent brings a child to them with possible autism or related modern childhood conditions like ADHD, it turns out that it’s the parents who are displaying signs of autism but have never been diagnosed 

Children
  • I don’t entirely agree. My local autism hub is funded by the local council and the NHS. Their emphasis is still perhaps diagnosis instead of post-diagnosis support but they do organise e.g. a monthly drop-in session, social events etc. Having said that I probably get more practical support from a local community cafe where I volunteer. I suspect it’s a postcode lottery when it comes to support for autistic adults.