How to get support as an adult autist?

I ask because in the past I've sought support and the professionals always refer me to mental health, which in the beginning yes I wondered if I was mentally unwell but in that time my traits have never changed and they've given me several medications and it never once actually did anything.

So I think I can now safely say all my problems are autism related and as we all know this can't be treated! 

I wish the doctors would take out more time to read up on autism rather than keep trying to dismiss it and treat it. I've been through almost 4 years of them trying to cure my autism and it's caused a great deal of trauma for me along the way.

I feel like I need some support with my autism but I don't know where to go or who to talk to......my doctors keep referring me to mental health and I don't want to go that route again.

Parents
  • GPs sadly have zero understranding. Flap about not knowing what to do, and all they can think of is MH.

Mine apologises for not being able to "cure my autism". (Crrawls off to corner to scream).

No, you're not sick, just autistic. And no, meds will do nothing because autism is not a disease. 

I'd suggest you look instead for the practical and social supports - if there are any in your area- through mind CASS, a locally commission well being service, or autism charity, for autism or a social prescriber for local groups.

• GPs sadly have zero understranding. Flap about not knowing what to do, and all they can think of is MH.

Mine apologises for not being able to "cure my autism". (Crrawls off to corner to scream).

No, you're not sick, just autistic. And no, meds will do nothing because autism is not a disease. 

I'd suggest you look instead for the practical and social supports - if there are any in your area- through mind CASS, a locally commission well being service, or autism charity, for autism or a social prescriber for local groups.

Children
No Data