How to get support as an adult autist?

I ask because in the past I've sought support and the professionals always refer me to mental health, which in the beginning yes I wondered if I was mentally unwell but in that time my traits have never changed and they've given me several medications and it never once actually did anything.

So I think I can now safely say all my problems are autism related and as we all know this can't be treated! 

I wish the doctors would take out more time to read up on autism rather than keep trying to dismiss it and treat it. I've been through almost 4 years of them trying to cure my autism and it's caused a great deal of trauma for me along the way.

I feel like I need some support with my autism but I don't know where to go or who to talk to......my doctors keep referring me to mental health and I don't want to go that route again.

Parents
  • The various mental health clinicians over many years did me great harm and I consider their medication obsession to actually constitute abuse. However escaped their clutches with the ASC diagnosis. Im getting incredible help and suppprt from my nhs autism team and the official diagnosis has revolutionised my relationship with pretty much every where else in the nhs. Right now I’m in the walk in centre with a finger wound, I explained my autism and was wearing the sunflower lanyard, and they are being outstandingly kind and helpful, have found me a quiet, calm, cool place to wait. And while here Ive had a call from my autism support worker who knows about the wound. All wonderful but I know unusual 

• The various mental health clinicians over many years did me great harm and I consider their medication obsession to actually constitute abuse. However escaped their clutches with the ASC diagnosis. Im getting incredible help and suppprt from my nhs autism team and the official diagnosis has revolutionised my relationship with pretty much every where else in the nhs. Right now I’m in the walk in centre with a finger wound, I explained my autism and was wearing the sunflower lanyard, and they are being outstandingly kind and helpful, have found me a quiet, calm, cool place to wait. And while here Ive had a call from my autism support worker who knows about the wound. All wonderful but I know unusual 

Children
  • That is unusual! But I'm glad you are getting the help and support you deserve. Always nice to hear a positive support story.

I've been looking for helpful support from the NHS but so far I haven't found. They just keep medicating me and admitting me to hospital.