Acupuncture

Hi,

I've started some treatment for my neck/shoulder with a physiotherapist. This has commenced with some acupuncture.

I was prone on the bench that they use with my face in the designed 'hole' in the bench thing, 4 needles were inserted into my trap muscles and the physio left me for about 20'minutes.

The strange thing is, that after about 5 minutes, my mind was clear. For the first time that I can recall, my mind wasn't spinning and I felt truly at peace. It was very strange afterwards when I realised this.

Has anybody else experienced this? I can't wait for the next session!

Batfink

Parents
  • never been to acupuncture, never had reason to as i keep all my muscles stretched and flexible.

does it hurt? do you feel the needle go in?

i often wonder how this works anyway but im going to guess that the micro hole tear the needle makes in the muscle likely targets a tension holding spot and the tear there creates a weakness which perhaps hakes the tension dissipate and the muscle to drop as the tension holding spot can no longer hold the muscle due to the weakness created by the hole from the needle perhaps? thats my guess on how it may work.

• never been to acupuncture, never had reason to as i keep all my muscles stretched and flexible.

does it hurt? do you feel the needle go in?

i often wonder how this works anyway but im going to guess that the micro hole tear the needle makes in the muscle likely targets a tension holding spot and the tear there creates a weakness which perhaps hakes the tension dissipate and the muscle to drop as the tension holding spot can no longer hold the muscle due to the weakness created by the hole from the needle perhaps? thats my guess on how it may work.

Children
  • In my experience it usually doesn't hurt, the needles are very fine and you don't feel them go in. 

In theory acupuncture works on an energetic level, so it moves energy blocks, simply put. As we all have small electrical currents passing through our bodies at all times, I find the idea plausible. 

People report feeling a bit weird during treatment sometimes, in theory as the energy moves. 

The first time I had it my body hurt and I was dizzy and had to lie down, it was quite dramatic. I had been expecting no effect since I didn't believe it would work. 

It fixed my chronic pain though, after a few sessions. 

• Hi,

The physio used 4 needles, 1 of them was a little sore but nothing too major and I felt the benefit straight after. 

It was the 'clear mind' feeling that took me aback!