Depression Medication

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone would be comfortable to share whether antidepressants have worked for you? I am having a really hard time and I've been thinking about seeing my GP to discuss taking medication for depression. I know that a large part of how I'm feeling is due to autistic burnout but I wondered whether depression meds would help or if they'd be ineffective or make it worse.

Parents
  • I would completely agree with Iain, speaking to you GP should be a priority. They would be best placed to support you with all of the available information.

That being said, I'm on antidepressants and go to counselling regularly, the combination of both together works well for me, but then I've been on and off a variety of antidepressants for the last 20 years and have had several different courses of CBT and counselling, so I'm aware that if only through hard won experience, I know when I need to do something more proactive for my mental health. At the beginning I know it can be hard to work out what's best for you but again your GP can help with that.

• I would completely agree with Iain, speaking to you GP should be a priority. They would be best placed to support you with all of the available information.

That being said, I'm on antidepressants and go to counselling regularly, the combination of both together works well for me, but then I've been on and off a variety of antidepressants for the last 20 years and have had several different courses of CBT and counselling, so I'm aware that if only through hard won experience, I know when I need to do something more proactive for my mental health. At the beginning I know it can be hard to work out what's best for you but again your GP can help with that.

Children
No Data