Depression Medication

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone would be comfortable to share whether antidepressants have worked for you? I am having a really hard time and I've been thinking about seeing my GP to discuss taking medication for depression. I know that a large part of how I'm feeling is due to autistic burnout but I wondered whether depression meds would help or if they'd be ineffective or make it worse.

Parents
  • I've been thinking about seeing my GP to discuss taking medication for depression.

This is absolutely where to start.

Quoting from the article on the subject:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356013

Your primary care doctor or psychiatrist can prescribe medications to relieve symptoms.

However, many people with depression also benefit from seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health professional.

Your GP will have been trained on how to triage your symptoms and offer the appropriate route for dealing with it, whether by therapy and/or medication.

Asking for advice on taking medication from people you don't know on the internet that is mind altering is a poor substitute for a trained medical professional so please be careful in considering what you listen too.

There will be factors such as your health, your history, any other medication you are taking and factors in your life that you would be able to tell your GP that we would not know, so it is best to go with the one who is best informed.

If you have any specific issues you want help with then we can be more helpful however.

Good luck with finding a solution to make life better for you.

• I've been thinking about seeing my GP to discuss taking medication for depression.

This is absolutely where to start.

Quoting from the article on the subject:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356013

Your primary care doctor or psychiatrist can prescribe medications to relieve symptoms.

However, many people with depression also benefit from seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health professional.

Your GP will have been trained on how to triage your symptoms and offer the appropriate route for dealing with it, whether by therapy and/or medication.

Asking for advice on taking medication from people you don't know on the internet that is mind altering is a poor substitute for a trained medical professional so please be careful in considering what you listen too.

There will be factors such as your health, your history, any other medication you are taking and factors in your life that you would be able to tell your GP that we would not know, so it is best to go with the one who is best informed.

If you have any specific issues you want help with then we can be more helpful however.

Good luck with finding a solution to make life better for you.

Children
No Data