The Science of Pet Therapy: How Pets Can Improve Mental Health

Pet therapy, also known as animal-assisted therapy (AAT), is a type of therapy that involves using animals to help people improve their physical, emotional, and mental health. Pet therapy has been used for many years to help people with a wide range of health conditions, including mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression.
There is a growing body of research that supports the effectiveness of pet therapy for improving mental health. Here are some of the ways in which pets can help improve mental health:

Reducing Stress and Anxiety: Pets have been shown to help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety in people. Studies have found that simply petting a dog or cat can help lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol and increase levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin.

Boosting Mood: Pets can also help boost mood and alleviate symptoms of depression. Spending time with a pet can increase levels of dopamine and serotonin, which are neurotransmitters associated with feelings of happiness and well-being.

Providing Social Support: Pets can also provide social support and a sense of companionship, which is especially important for people who may be feeling lonely or isolated. Pets can offer unconditional love and a non-judgmental presence, which can be very beneficial for people struggling with mental health issues.

Encouraging Physical Activity: Many pets, such as dogs, require regular exercise, which can encourage people to be more active and get outside. Regular exercise has been shown to have a positive impact on mental health, including reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Parents
  • It’s just unnerving to have a rogue element moving around your house behaving in irrational ways, pooping on the floors, scratching the furniture, or jumping all over you without warning.

I can understand why a pet doesn't appeal when it's put like that. But for me, none of it is applicable, because that's not how my pet behaves- my dog is housetrained, relatively calm, well-behaved, and routine-oriented.

I'm not saying everybody ought to have or like animals but I do think it's a little bit unfair to characterise them as inherently chaotic when many pet owners have put in the effort to understand animal behaviour and/or train their pets, meaning the animal's actions are far more predictable.

• It’s just unnerving to have a rogue element moving around your house behaving in irrational ways, pooping on the floors, scratching the furniture, or jumping all over you without warning.

I can understand why a pet doesn't appeal when it's put like that. But for me, none of it is applicable, because that's not how my pet behaves- my dog is housetrained, relatively calm, well-behaved, and routine-oriented.

I'm not saying everybody ought to have or like animals but I do think it's a little bit unfair to characterise them as inherently chaotic when many pet owners have put in the effort to understand animal behaviour and/or train their pets, meaning the animal's actions are far more predictable.

Children
No Data