Burnout and Tiredness

Hi everyone!

I have a dilemma that I'm struggling to understand and wondered if anyone else could relate or provide any advice.

Every night I always get at least 8 hours of sleep, yet I'm still tired each and every day. I am a high masker and find that this exhausts me. I recently got a blood test, which I am awaiting results, as I wondered if my iron is low. However, the more I think about this the more I worry it is just me and the fact that the world is the one causing me to be tired.

If anyone has watched Chris Packham's 'Inside Our Autistic Minds,' I relate exactly to Ethan's video with the heightened senses of sounds. I'm not sure if it is the environment which causes me to burn out, but either way, it is exhausting. BBC Two - Inside Our Autistic Minds, Ethan's Film

Thanks for reading :)

Maddie

Parents
  • Hi Maddie, I'm Alice

I've read that autism can affect how the brain produces melatonin, the chemical that regulates sleep. It's possible that you need slightly more or less sleep depending on your melatonin levels. Personally, I tend to sleep a lot. Even more when I've been over stimulated by, well, life. I can easily sleep most of a day away, and that comes with guilt for not having been productive, yay me! I'm quite good at telling myself that I need what I need and that's just how I function though, and I know very well what the consequences are likely to be if I don't give myself that time to recuperate (hint: bad things happen. Alice loses her *** lol)

It could also be the iron thing.

I hope you figure it out soon Wink

• Hi Maddie, I'm Alice

I've read that autism can affect how the brain produces melatonin, the chemical that regulates sleep. It's possible that you need slightly more or less sleep depending on your melatonin levels. Personally, I tend to sleep a lot. Even more when I've been over stimulated by, well, life. I can easily sleep most of a day away, and that comes with guilt for not having been productive, yay me! I'm quite good at telling myself that I need what I need and that's just how I function though, and I know very well what the consequences are likely to be if I don't give myself that time to recuperate (hint: bad things happen. Alice loses her *** lol)

It could also be the iron thing.

I hope you figure it out soon Wink

Children
  • I never knew that! I really need to try and listen to my brain, especially when I'm wiped out from the world. I always feel like I shouldn't be napping or sleeping in till 10 AM but I know my body needs it. I'll try to follow your ways by telling myself I need what I need. Thank you. :)