Overthinking - how to deal with it

Hi everyone have recently been diagnosed with autism, throughout my life I have been told I over think to much. Whether its something as simply writing an email, or like someone or worrying about the future or meeting up with people. Or just over thinking lots of things in detail such as my interests.   I was wondering if anyone had any ways to deal with over thinking? 

Parents
  • I can definitely empathise with that (despite what my empathy test scores say!).  I guess I would try to set a time limit (I will send this email before my next tea break etc.)  then I wouldn't have time to overthink it, not that I take my own advice. You then just need to avoid the temptation to pick apart and criticise what you've done.  I try to tell myself that I made the best decision I could at the time given my knowledge, skills and resources.   

I'm not good at being spontaneous but it does reduce the time to worry about the meeting up with people if you can do that.  Over-thinking interests is probably very common and only a problem if it stresses you out or interferes with other things you want to do or your responsibilities.

Not sure if that helps, but I just wanted to say that I feel your pain! A counsellor I once had used to call it catastrophising.

• I can definitely empathise with that (despite what my empathy test scores say!).  I guess I would try to set a time limit (I will send this email before my next tea break etc.)  then I wouldn't have time to overthink it, not that I take my own advice. You then just need to avoid the temptation to pick apart and criticise what you've done.  I try to tell myself that I made the best decision I could at the time given my knowledge, skills and resources.   

I'm not good at being spontaneous but it does reduce the time to worry about the meeting up with people if you can do that.  Over-thinking interests is probably very common and only a problem if it stresses you out or interferes with other things you want to do or your responsibilities.

Not sure if that helps, but I just wanted to say that I feel your pain! A counsellor I once had used to call it catastrophising.

Children
No Data