Sleep Difficulties

I was awake for 24 hours-plus from Saturday morning onwards (I've lost track - I *think* it was Saturday). Sure, I was very troubled by something, but that's nothing new. All I'd done differently was starting to take soluble Vitamin C tablets that cost £1.43 and came in a Smarties-like paper tube...so they're likely to be as revolutionarily or as life-changingly effective as my forum posts or dress-sense. So it can't be the tablets which cause this insomnia...

What sleeping difficulties do you have, if any?

Parents
  • I find it can be easy to lose track of how long one has been awake, especially if one has an erratic body clock like mine, and the day one wakes up is not the same day that one falls asleep. It can all become a bit of a blur... "Was it yesterday that I woke up, or might it have been the day before?... What day is it?... When did I last sleep?... "How long have I been awake for?"

The only thing I do know is that getting frustrated about not being able to sleep when one is suffering from insomnia is pointless. Rather than lying in bed for hours on end fretting about being unable to sleep, better to get up and do something that will hopefully be a distraction. I know there's a lot of talk about 'sleep hygiene', which I agree with to a point. For example, watching TV tends to be discouraged because it can stimulate the mind. In my case, watching something on TV that I'm not overly interested in can be just the thing that actually sends me off to sleep... sometimes.

Sometimes, when I'm suffering from insomnia, it's a case of 'keep on going' until my brain and body are both in agreement that I do actually need to sleep because they are both exhausted.

• I find it can be easy to lose track of how long one has been awake, especially if one has an erratic body clock like mine, and the day one wakes up is not the same day that one falls asleep. It can all become a bit of a blur... "Was it yesterday that I woke up, or might it have been the day before?... What day is it?... When did I last sleep?... "How long have I been awake for?"

The only thing I do know is that getting frustrated about not being able to sleep when one is suffering from insomnia is pointless. Rather than lying in bed for hours on end fretting about being unable to sleep, better to get up and do something that will hopefully be a distraction. I know there's a lot of talk about 'sleep hygiene', which I agree with to a point. For example, watching TV tends to be discouraged because it can stimulate the mind. In my case, watching something on TV that I'm not overly interested in can be just the thing that actually sends me off to sleep... sometimes.

Sometimes, when I'm suffering from insomnia, it's a case of 'keep on going' until my brain and body are both in agreement that I do actually need to sleep because they are both exhausted.

Children
No Data