Focus and motivation

Do any you in the community have reommendations for finding - and maintaining - motivation and focus over the long term?

(I have some possible projects, small and long, including one that could take years of effort. Thinking about it is causing me to freeze: I do not want to risk diving in, becoming obsessive, and burning up with little to show, but not do I want it to become a grinding slow chore.)

Parents
  • James, Tron and Brozoskeleton have given you great advice I see, but just in case you're old school here's something similar that I do - I put myself on a ten week program (based around school terms) using a blank notebook.  I like writing and drawing with a fineliner pen and highlighters.  Then I have 7 things to tick off every day or write comments about:
     - Quiet time in the morning
    - Drink water and do stretches
    - Do something productive/work
     - Walk for 40 minutes (helps with anxiety)
    - Do an after-school activity (I have kids)
    - Clean up after dinner (supposed to make the kids help - also means getting ready for the next day, e.g. put clothes out, have bags ready)
     - Get everyone to bed on time.
    You might not need this/might not be relevant to you but I thought I'd put my two cents (well, pennies for you?) in in case.

Also - I get very interested in things for a few weeks or months then after a while I can't stand them (special interests).  My counsellor suggested I try to commit to things for a few months and then plan to do something different.  I'm trying to do that, working for myself, although I'm not sure my hobby businesses are going to cut it income-wise!!  But being able to switch projects before you burn out seems great to me.  Note I've been working on a novel for about ten years but can only stand to work on it on and off.

• James, Tron and Brozoskeleton have given you great advice I see, but just in case you're old school here's something similar that I do - I put myself on a ten week program (based around school terms) using a blank notebook.  I like writing and drawing with a fineliner pen and highlighters.  Then I have 7 things to tick off every day or write comments about:
     - Quiet time in the morning
    - Drink water and do stretches
    - Do something productive/work
     - Walk for 40 minutes (helps with anxiety)
    - Do an after-school activity (I have kids)
    - Clean up after dinner (supposed to make the kids help - also means getting ready for the next day, e.g. put clothes out, have bags ready)
     - Get everyone to bed on time.
    You might not need this/might not be relevant to you but I thought I'd put my two cents (well, pennies for you?) in in case.

Also - I get very interested in things for a few weeks or months then after a while I can't stand them (special interests).  My counsellor suggested I try to commit to things for a few months and then plan to do something different.  I'm trying to do that, working for myself, although I'm not sure my hobby businesses are going to cut it income-wise!!  But being able to switch projects before you burn out seems great to me.  Note I've been working on a novel for about ten years but can only stand to work on it on and off.

Children
  • this/might not be relevant to you but I thought I'd put my two cents (well, pennies for you?) in in case.

Thanks Helen - they're really great.

7 things to tick off every day or write comments about:

These seven are really good.(particularly as they feature things that I often, with focus elswhere, overlook). I will write them in my notebook to tick off whwn my health is better.

(I have kids

(I don't - which makes my drift to losing sense of time and focus even less understandable.)

Note I've been working on a novel for about ten years but can only stand to work on it on and off.

Sympathy and solidarity. This has been an aim of mine too.