What does executive function feel like

Im wondering because i feel like fighting to move all the time. Like im a prisoner in my own body. I only get so mucj done in a day and overall im feeling very sub human

Parents Reply
  • Isn’t burnout defined ‘as emotional, cognitive and physical exhaustion resulting from continual stress/masking and demands that have exceeded your capacity to cope in a majority neurotypical world? Burnout is usually long term, therefore I think it can be differentiated from autistic inertia as inertia usually relates to the energy required to switch tasks.

Children
  • I am sorry you feel like you are in burnout. Give yourself as much time as you need with minimal expectations and engage in some autistic self care. 

Sometimes the pace of life is quite fast - so your batteries need recharging (obviously metaphorically).

Have you heard of energy accounting? Using this tool in everyday life may help reduce the intensity of burnout.

https://www.purpleella.com/2018/06/07/energy-accounting/

I hope this helps.

• Well, I've certainly been feeling all of the above a while. I do do executive functioning, but just about and very, very slowly. Not much achieved in a day and hasn't been for a while. Been through too much over the past couple of years. Demand has certainly exceeded capacity. I'm not in the least bit depressed but everything is in slow motion while the brain is in hyper drive about deeper stuff. 

Normally, I'm quite active, but I have hit this before...it'll bounce back with enough rest. Gone on a bit long this time though.