Autism, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, and Private Healthcare

Hello, everyone. I was diagnosed with ASD in 2018, and while that has helped answer some questions, I'm still struggling to piece other things together. The truth of it is, while none of my family are diagnosed for it (as far as I'm aware), a lot of my family members display symptoms of pretty debilitating inattentive type ADHD, as do I. I am a pretty sickly person in a more general sense, but to be honest I don't go and speak to doctors as much as I should. I'd like to be tested for coeliac disease too, and have multiple other issues. I'm just super disheartened by the whole process, because whenever I go to speak to anyone (which isn't often, I haven't seen anyone since 2019), doctors are always incredibly dismissive of my needs as an autistic person, but also about the issues I bring up with them.

So I guess my question is this: How do I broach the idea that I think I may also have ADHD comorbid with the ASD? Many doctors will probably still believe in the old diagnostic criteria that we can only have one or the other, and I'm scared of going there and being dismissed on that basis.

Another question I have is that of the potential to cut to the chase and be privately assessed. I have never gone the private route for anything before, so I have no idea how to get into that and I'm scared of being scammed. Does anyone know of any reputable services that provide ADHD and other mental health assessments, so that I could potentially bypass the whole process of practically begging for referrals from a GP? What I'd really like is a full, deep dive sort of psychological assessment. I can't imagine having anything like that going through the NHS, and last time I tried it went incredibly poorly.

Last time I saw a psychologist for a more general mental health assessment, I masked but was honest about everything. Except, because I masked, I guess the psychologist misread me. I told her I was having frequent suicidal "fantasies" about some of the worst and most dangerous ways a person could harm themselves, but I also said I would never act on them because I wouldn't want to hurt my family in that way. I don't have these level of thoughts anymore though, so don't worry about that. It's largely been replaced with (pretty severe, imo) anhedonia and depersonalisation. Anyway, because I was so straight to the point about all of my thoughts and feelings, and was masking, I guess I seemed more put together than I actually am. She diagnosed me with mild anxiety and depression, and sent me away with no further support. If I wanted to speak to someone again, I'd have to speak to my GP and they'd have to put me on another waiting list.

So I'm honestly scared of going back to a GP and asking for anything at this point. So much stuff has happened, more than what I've outlined here. I feel very disillusioned by the whole process. All I want is to start feeling better, to have my person and situation respected, and to actually have help to get better and achieve my health goals.

Sorry if any of this is unclear, since this message was written quickly on the spur of the moment. If you have any questions regarding my situation, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks in advance for reading all of this, and for answering. It's greatly appreciated.

• I'm listening to an audiobook called ADHD 2.0 on audible. It's kind of helpful as I knew more autism wondered why I couldn't relate to it much then also get assed with ADHD didn't know much about it till listening to a book on it then it all fell together. It's kind of like the ADHD dominates the Autistic side times but yeah it's annoying like waging a war in your head between the two a never ending fight for solitude. 

• I'm not rich enough to buy healthcare insurance when I start working at my new job. Still, I think this is not a problem because many people work in my office who can help me buy one for myself if I don't know how to do this by myself. The most important thing in choosing healthcare insurance is to pay bigger attention to it. The most important thing is to read the terms and conditions carefully. In this way, I chose [Link removed by moderator] because they offered me the best conditions for my needs.

• In this case, it is better to go to a private hospital. From a technical point of view, the difference between private and public hospitals lies in the management of the hospital. The services provided in a private and a public hospital are more or less the same. But, from the patient's point of view, the main difference between private hospitals and public hospitals lies in the equipment and care provided to the patient. Of course, there is no denying that you have to pay for additional services and care. Therefore, without the help of billing companies, it will be difficult! For example, I am a frequent customer at [link removed by moderator] But the choice is up to you and your finances!

• This is similar to my life,. But I’m already diagnosed ASD. I have communication problems and can’t explain what’s going on. I’m an absolute mess 18yrs of antidepressants and all that works is diazepam. It’s hard work not being diagnosed ADHD or manic disorders when you can clearly feel it and then crash and burn out. 

anyways, my plan of action is to go private.. but this all depends on my PIP decision

im pretty much done,. If this is my life then I don’t want it. All I need is one person to go through my medical history and see this isn’t right. But I can’t even get a doctors appointment 

• Thank you. Just noticed your post. Yes, they have point blank refused to accept the referral.

And yes, the reception says it is doctor's discretion over the appointment. I'm sure it isn't, it's doctor's discretion to install a ramp for a wheel chair.

Funnily enough my colleagues has a ASC son who was told he wasn't "disabled" enough for adaptations for an appointment.

• You can, but not all doctors surgery’s will accept the letter to make the referral.  Most will request you see and make an appointment to see a GP, this is the case for most rural surgery’s.

most NHS trusts that diagnosis autism will only accept referrals from a GP’sand do not take referrals from SENCO’s or social workers anymore. 

GP secretary's have Orders from their doctors to dismiss and priotise certain health conditions and patience and autism/ADHD are often not a priority. 

as for the private route for autism assessment it’s not always worth it unless your seeing a professional who can diagnosis autism and ADHD at the same time. Some private appointment are costly with patients paying multiple times for pre diagnostic sessions and not getting a formal diagnosis until their fourth appointment which increase the price well beyond £1300 in some cases. (It’s being investigated at the moment for one of the biggest in UK healthcare  )

Phychictry UK sometimes do autism and ADHD assessments through right to choose. Which is paid through the NHS. But waiting times are backlogged and it can take over a year in some places. 

• You need to apply for a needs assessment, local authority must carry one out if requested. They legally cannot deny it. 

advocates don’t just work for social services, you may be contacting the wrong department of social services. You want to contact early invention team of adult social services, they often don’t work in the same location as the care teams. 

local autism partnership (a group in your local authority that have come together to provide information and connect the local autism related charities and sometime the diagnosing teams) often have a list of advocates that can assist you and often free. 

charities in my area is “family voice” which advocates for under 25s and families. 

‘’equal lives’ are another charity that help people with disabilities claim benefits and advocate. 

When making an appointment. You have to make it clear that you need reasonable adaption. They are not allowed to deny you this and if they do inform them you’ll make a formal complaint on the grounds of discrimination. Also I would make the appointment with an advocate, they will make it clear to the surgery that in the case a doctor has to reschedule. You appointment time will not change and you will be seen at the requested time.

• I deleted my comment cos id miss-read what you had said.

• Could you write to your GP instead? I did that over my request for a referral for an ASD assessment. I did some on line tests including the AQ50 then wrote outlining why I felt I needed an assessment. I never had to speak to them in person.

As for the private route does the directory on this site have any suggestions? 

• I'm having massive problems getting or using an advocate just now. The GP says I need one but social services won't accept the referral.

I do have one temporarily while we sort out the initial problem. But the surgery is insisting the only way to make an appointment is to phone at 8 with no guarantee I'd get through or get one. Clearly, any advocate has clients other than me and can't be on stand by in case I get an appointment for an unspecified time. 

On the one hand the GP recommends an advocate and o the other makes it impossible to use one. This can't be right.

• NHS RIGHT TO CHOOSE is the best option for getting ADHD diagnosed. The NHS routes doesn't allow you to seek both diagnosis out at the same time. i would seek the ADHD one first because you may require stimulant medication and are more likely offered post autism support after autism diagnosis if you already have ADHD diagnosis.

Never attend doctors appointments alone, request a young female doctor, more likely not to have a negative view of autism and adhd and take a family member or advocate with you. Your local autism partnership can get you in touch with one or a charity like National autism society, equal lives

• I been massively struggling recently and was also scared of going to the GP as in the past it’s not been very helpful. I have health anxiety anyway after being ill last year so I get massively nervous going to any medical related place - even phoning them. In the end I plucked up the courage and had a telephone consultation with the GP and she referred me to one of those private companies that work with the NHS to provide therapy. She said the ‘mainstream’ NHS waiting list was 2 years (!) but that this would be much quicker. It hasn’t got going yet but I’m a bit dubious about it to be honest. One or two reviews of the service she’s referred me to are pretty terrible. It’s also not targeted to autism.

Anyway - I’ll just have to wait and see. 
    I hope someone here can recommend a private therapist to you - a personal recommendation is often the best way to find someone good.