Friendship. How it works, how to get some, how to keep them.

I've spent over thirty years practicing the art of friendship, and since some of you complain that you have insufficient friends, I will try and share what I know.

I'll do it in my own style, (which isn't for everyone) but the facts and ideas should be easily enough to assimilate.

I'm doing this to give those of you who feel they need more human contact, a path to sucess. If you find it works for you, please give me feedback.

I've had a LOT of trouble with people over the years, (last week on this forum, even!) so my journey has been long and hard but teh pivital point ofr me where I forst obtained a true insight into friendship, that cut through the romantic tosh I'd been fed for years, came when I took a job in a town twenty miles up the road, and got a flat nearer in a misguded attempt to get there on time more often...

Up until then I'd been building "friends" nicely in the local motorcyling commuinty. Every weekend for about a year prior to leaving the green service, I'd been biking back every friday night to spend a weekend with these people. We rode togtether, we drank together we fought together, and they very much liked my above average levels of reckless stupidity (also known as "bravery" in some circles) both on and off the Bike, (when you are small and weak, you have to bring something to the table "fighting wise" as a late teenage/early twenties biker, I bought a mix of unpredicatabilty, military training, and a willingness to do what teh average man cannot, and my success was seemingly assured.

Then I started living 20miles up the road, or as I'd sometimes ride it, twenty minutes. I decided to make it worth the ride, and made my palce a very suitable place to be for my friends..

THEY DID NOT COME. Well, I got 'em over once, it was a good evening, but it didn't happen again. It came as a huge shock to 21 year old me, I knew these people were my good friends, (One of them still is, I popped round to his gaff last week) why did this happen to me?

I've come to realise it was because it was because I attempted to changed the "deal". In this case I relocated, but there have been many other times I watched a friendship founder for inexplicable reasons, but it is always the same mechanism at play. This is a big part of why "reliable" people are surrounded by "friends" and people like me are not. 

So frendships are founded on routine and absence of big change.

But, you wordy git (or nazi) how do I get some friends? OR as my G/F laments, "you alwasy have soemoen to talk to, I have no-one"

Well, gentle reader, (and my poor G/F if she ever reads this, god knows she never listens long enough for me to actually answer the question, when she asks it) first you need to make some room in your life for them.  Seriously. Making friends is like growing tomatos or dope, or pretty much any other natural process, you need to set aside time to do the cultivation, particularly, if like me, you like a decent surplus of whatever you grow, to give away or account for natural wastage.

Cultivation is best defined in this instance as "looking after" or "tending" to your friends. Lacking empathy as I do, it's impossible to be Mr Right very often, but it is possibel to be "Mr Trying to do right by people, and occasionally suceeding" the latter approach gets you less friends, but possibly better quality ones.

OO, yeah, let's talk about Q.O.F. (quality of friendship)

Friendship unlike what hollywood would have us believe, is a Spectrum. The quality of the friends life will give you after I've finished this and you have read it (hopefully, I'm doing my best at this end) will depend on the type of person you are, the type of person they are, and the context in which you befriended them. E.G. you get a different quality of friend if you drop a big bag of coke in the table at a hollywood party, than you do if you stop to help some poor sod pushing his motorbike down the road. I did the latter in 1985 (ish) and he's still my friend, although the sort of friend who lives far away and I phone a few times a year, (or even he phones ME).   

So you get friends by interacting with people in a positive manner, and eventually you will find people who like the cut of your jib and start being friendly! I've found that honesty and fair dealing at all times with my friends really helps too. Of course we have "masking", and when your normie friends realise that some of what your are is a "mask" that will often test a new friendship.

How many friends will I get if I take this to heart, and how do I get the good sort, that won't turn on me and break my heart? I hear someone ask (in my head, using my voice, oddly enough :) 

Your experience will vary, depending on how often you expose yourself to other people, and how authentically nice a person you are. Being a nice person, is difficult if you start out being trained hard to be a scumbag like I was, but simply figuring out the right things to do, to make life a little nicer or easier for those who cross my path, trying to limit my boundless capacity for selfishness, and growing my abilty to "take care" of others, (A cat gave me my earliest training in those arts) 

But it's all a waste of time if you cannot KEEP your friends, (unless you are a hollywood party type, they seem to have different expectations) so how do you keep those friendships alive when you finally get 'em going? 

Back to the gardening metaphor it is: YOU keep the friendship going by never "waiting for them to phone first". You figure out what it is that feeds your friendship, and you make sure you keep supplying it! When a friend seems happy to discard you, it really doesn't hurt to make a bit of an effort to pop round unannounced, with a gift of some sort. Because although no one thinks it runs like this, it does. People will only be your friend if they are getting something out of the deal... Whether it's pleasure, help or chocolates or even simple conversation, the price of admission to the friends club is GIVING.

I may come back later, re-read and edit or add to this, but the mental effort I've just expended and lack of food so far consumed, makes me want to stop. I really hope someone finds this anti romantic, engineering or gardening style approach to friendship useful. Heck, I see the signs that I've already possibly planted the seeds of some good friendships here already...

For those of you who are very isolated already or their Autism works in a way that invalidates some or a lot of what I say, the basic difference between romantic ideals of friendship, and the some times hard and calculated work I have to expend to keep my friendships alive won't seem so real  If the methods I use get you a few true friends. And it's rare, but sometimes YOU have to end a friendship for simple self preservation reasons, with the proviso of trying your utmost to be fair and gentle as you do it..

When a friendship ends, (or appears to) being kind and accepting is absolutely the right way to go. I find it gives one an opprtunity (which occasionally works very well, but not always) to resurrect a friendship that has failed once one has identified where you let it fail in the first place, if you haven't burned your boats with unwholesome behaviour. A recently resurrected friendship has proven spectacularly beneficial to me recently, but I didn't resurrect it for the benefits, I resurrected it becuase I like having friends and I believed I had worked out where the failure occured on my part that made the other person end the friendship. It took me ten years but I got my friend back, and I think I treat him better nowadays than I did.

*EDIT* 

I nearly forgot, the basic manual for human relationships, is short, cheap, a bit hard to read and digest in places, wonderfully clear and helpful in others, and it fixed me back in 1980-something, (and incidentally the elssoons I learned permanently ended my then ongoing incel/suicidal activity problem) is called "Games People Play"  by Eric Berne. Probably six quid used on ebay, less if you "wait and pounce". A useful little book, for lost souls such as me, who would like to "improve themselves" quickly and with little effort.. Books: Cheaper than LSD and the effect usually lasts forever. 

• there are three requirements for friendship:

Positivity. Consistency. Vulnerability.

Those have worked for me so far! Consistency, as you say, is probably the most important.

• We all have the same wisdom within us, Untoward. No one is wiser than another.  It may be that I have just suffered to such an extent that I've seen how much of it was unessacary. Some things in life are painful, losing people we love, hurting other people without knowing, but mostly, we're suffering because of the nightmare inside our own heads caused by the terrible stories we're telling ourselves about ourselves, others and the world around us. The thing about horror movies is they are addictive. As well as scaring us, they also give us a thrill, which is why our bad thoughts can have such a hold over us. 

I'm convinced you'd be a lovely friend to have. Your words are always kind. You always write from the heart. How often do you tell yourself nice things about yourself? That's the first step to making friends with yourself. Just by beginning to talk to yourself as a friend.

• Your reply makes perfect sense untowards. Would you like me to come back and edit this reply to address the concerns you specifically raised and would you like me to suggest some possible strategy/cheats to help you with that?  

• You are very wise Tassimo. I hope to be like you one day.

I am not friends with msyelf. I have spent my entire life hating myself and I can't comprehend why anyone would like me. I'm automatically suspicious when anyone is nice to me. I know I need to work on accepting myself more.

• Thanks for posting this I Sperg. Unfortunately I think it's operating at a level above where I'm at - your post is more about maintaining friendships but I can't even make a friend in the first place.

I do think I know what my issue is, or at least a major part of it - I need to open up more, initiate things more, and be more outward instead of inward. Everything I think tends to be focused on myself, because I basically don't have any interest in what anyone else is doing. But I have to fake it.

But I also need some things that I can talk about. I have noticed that what most people talk about is social activities - what they are doing at the weekend, what their plans are, who is doing what, and any kind of interactions or relationship between two people is discussed at length. I of course have no interest in that, and even worse I don't have anything about myself to contribute even if people ask me.

In that respect it's a chicken and egg situation. To be an interesting person with stories to tell and things worth talking about (not my autistic hyper-interests, but the things that normal people talk about) I need to have friends and have a social life, but to make friends and have a social life, I need to be worth talking to and have something to say, and... it just repeats.

I have looked at things on meetup.com and it is very very limited what is available. It's a bit better than it was during lockdown when it was only Zoom calls, but there are still hardly any groups. There are some with 30+ people going for hikes or for nights out, and I would feel very intimidated by either.

But I've decided I'm going to at least try. No point in killing myself if I haven't had one last try, what have I got to lose? Feeling bad/awkward/rejected? I already feel like that.

• I have found that there is only one requirement for true friendship and that is to be a true friend to yourself. If you can be a true friend to yourself, first, then you can be a true friend to someone else.  I have complained so many times along with so many others about wanting to find a true friendship in someone else, but never recognising that it's more important to be the true friend that I, and others, are looking for. Like most human relationships, friendships can be just another way for people to use other people in order to get their own needs fulfilled.  And, of course, this is an impossible task for any human being to fulfil in the long term. I find that people who have true friends are themselves true friends to themselves and to others. Ultimately, we can only ever receive the friendships we deserve. And the first step is to start by looking at what we can give rather than what we can take.

• Thanks I Sperg. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to share some of your wisdom.

For what it's worth I don't disagree with much or anything of what you've said. I think I've often viewed some friendships this way. It always just seems to me that when it comes to "paying into" a friendship it just seems to cost me so much more than it does the others. I don't say that to make excuses; just an observation. I've recently decided to try and focus efforts onto a smaller number of friends so I can take more of that time to cultivate. If time is limited, then concentrate it on those who afford you the most in return.

• Well said.

I don't have many friends, and nowadays I struggle to tell the difference between friends, acquaintances, associates, because I don't go out much socially. I'm cool with it. I like my space.

BUT, I have/had some really good friends, even if I don't see them often.

The good friends take you for what you are and don't try to mould you into their vision.